14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 10:18 AM by ChadAdams

Hide Body Parts

kaostika

No, this isnt a Dexter post,

Can we hide a body part like a subsummary. Lets say I make a report and part of it has 4 layers (subsummaries) but some parts of the report only need to have 3. Can I hide the entire subsummary part?

Oreste

• 1. Re: Hide Body Parts
          steveromig

kaostika wrote:

No, this isnt a Dexter post,

Can we hide a body part like a subsummary.  Lets say I make a report and part of it has 4 layers (subsummaries) but some parts of the report only need to have 3.  Can I hide the entire subsummary part?

Oreste

Assuming you are referring to "Control object visibility" that is a new feature of FileMaker Pro 13...

...if so, this feature only works with layout objects.  You cannot use it to hide layout parts.

You'd have to do some creative layout switching to mimic hiding layout parts.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Hide Body Parts
            kaostika

Ok what i thought.  will need to figure a workaround  thanks!

• 3. Re: Hide Body Parts
              erolst

OK, seriously, you seem to mean "layout part", and "sub-summary".

The solution? Use a sort order that does not include the break-field of the undesired sub-summary, and it will disappear.

• 4. Re: Hide Body Parts
                user28097

Closest I could come when I had this issue recently was to use a conditional style to change the size of text objects to 1 point and color to white, then allow slide up and adjust size of enclosing part. The part was still there, but empty and shorter. Would love to know if there's a better way.

• 5. Re: Hide Body Parts
                  user28097

If all objects in the part are invisible and adjust size of enclosing part is set, will that make the part smaller / disappear?

• 6. Re: Hide Body Parts
                    kaostika

I tried the Hide all objects, but that didn't seem to work in Beta version.  I was also making the layouts in Browse mode, so the 1pt works for preview but not Browse.  I will try it again.

Oreste

• 7. Re: Hide Body Parts
                      ChadAdams

It is possible to have a "body" part that is hideable. 

The workaround is to change it to a sub-summary part that sorts by your primary key field for that table.  In this way you can sort by the ID field when you want the items to show, and not sort by the ID when you want them to hide.

Using this technique the layout doesn't actually have a "body" part.  Just subsummary parts.

Chad

• 8. Re: Hide Body Parts
                        kaostika

Lets say I have 4 Level in my Report

Country

State

City

Neighborhood

I make a layout in Browse mode to show this.  But for certain Cities there are no neighborhoods.  I dont want to show that specific instance of the Subsummary.  So it would be

USA

NY

NYC

Midtown

(address Records)

NY

Small Town

(no Neighborhood)  HIDE

Address Records

So sometime the screen would have 4 levels and sometimes 3 on the same layout

• 9. Re: Hide Body Parts
                          BruceHerbach

Hi,

You could use a virtual list and a portal to display the information.  If you have a subscription,  Matt Petrowski's site http://www.filemakermagazine.com/

has a nice demo and a video about this.

Bruce

• 10. Re: Hide Body Parts
                            kaostika

I wanted to be able to edit records.  So i need the actual fields.

Oreste

• 11. Re: Hide Body Parts
                              ChadAdams

As long as this report is done from the Address Records table, then it should work as you want without much modification from you.

SubSummary parts are:

Country

State

City

Neighborhood

Make the Neighborhood part contain the neighborhood field, and make that field slide up and also reduce the size of the enclosed part.  Your report will end up showing all addresses without a neighborhood grouped together (under the same city) and the "blank" neighborhood will still show, but it will collapse to only show the white space around the field (the field will slide up and reduce which will make it virtually go away).

Chad

• 12. Re: Hide Body Parts
                                kaostika

In preview mode that will work.  Will it work in Browse?

• 13. Re: Hide Body Parts
                                  ChadAdams

To be clear, I described the behavior of a printed report.  In browse mode you'll still see the neighborhood white space as it won't slide till printed or viewed in preview mode.

Chad

• 14. Re: Hide Body Parts
                                    ChadAdams

To get this to work in browse mode you have to get more creative. 

Have you ever played with the virtual list technique.  You can build a list of values in a variable and then create a "viewer table" with calculation fields to parse and display the data as you want. 

Google Virtual List FileMaker and read up on it.  You can get there using that technique.

Chad