13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 12:02 PM by filemaker@perolsen.dk

No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?

filemaker@perolsen.dk

As far as I can read from the release documentation, there is no WebDirect service in the Pro or Advanced. We'll have to have a server?

This is really bad news for me as a developer. I don't have a server myself but use a hosting service for finished projects. But in the development phase, I use the built in IWP server.

It is bad news as well for building ad hoc solutions on different sites. IWP has been a very strong tool for that.

What about using FileMaker Pro as a host for FileMaker Go? Is that dead as well?

It seems like FileMaker is trying to force all developers into having a server license!!!!

Best regards

Per

• 1. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
          AppGuy

You can still host off of Filemaker Pro just not use WebDirect.  WebDirect does require FM server.  I believe this is due to the resources needed to run web direct.

JP

• 2. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
            Steve Wright

You dont necessarily need to purchase server for the development phase, you can also subscribe to the dev community.  A "FileMaker Developer Subscription" gives you access to a Server development licence.

http://filemaker.co.uk/technet/dev_license.html

• 3. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
              steveromig

filemaker@perolsen.dk wrote:

As far as I can read from the release documentation, there is no WebDirect service in the Pro or Advanced. We'll have to have a server?

This is correct.  FileMaker WebDirect requires files to be hosted by FileMaker Server.

filemaker@perolsen.dk wrote:

What about using FileMaker Pro as a host for FileMaker Go? Is that dead as well?

FileMaker Pro still supports peer-to-peer networking and can be used as a host for other FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go clients.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                kaostika

In related topic.  I have wanted to know if it is possible to view layouts in a web browser thru webdirect in FM client.  It seems I could in the beta but not anymore.  I read something about this in the docs, but I am not sure

Oreste

• 5. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                  kaostika

Ok it still works, but it seems I need a connection for it.  Dont think my technicque will work.

Oreste

• 6. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                    intex

Yes, and this makes using a browser as client much more expensive than with IWP: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/131127#131127

• 7. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                      filemaker@perolsen.dk

Hi Steve

Nice to hear that FileMaker 13 still can host Go ... it is a nice way of testing Go-solutions. But maybe you should clearify that in your text. It states that FIleMaker only will host FileMaker Pro and it does not mention Go at all.

To bad for the WebDirect ... I will miss that big time - and it will prevent several of my costumers from upgrading to FileMaker 13.

If FileMaker really wanted to get more users, you should consider:

A cheap client license with no database-design-features - a Go for Mac and Windows.

Many potential clients turns down a FileMaker solution caused by the expensive FileMaker Pro license.

And many are reluctant to upgrade their old licenses.

and

Cut the price of the server license to at least half price. As now I have more clients using a FileMaker Pro as server - living with the limit of 5 simultanous users - instead of getting a server.

Okay ... FileMaker might earn half as much money on each license ... but I am sure you would sell 5 or 10 times the amount of licenses and upgrades. You might earn more money with cheaper licenses.

Best regards

Per

• 8. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                        filemaker@perolsen.dk

THANKS!!!

I will subscribe. This solves part of the problem with the new license. And gives me a chance to evaluate WebDirect to check if it is worth upgrading to FileMaker 13.

Best regards

Per

• 9. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                          filemaker@perolsen.dk

FileMaker is probably trying to close the loophole of using webbrowsers instead of expensive client licenses.

FileMaker could have made a cheap client license with no database design features (Go for Mac and Win), if they wanted us to use clients instead of browsers.

No wonder FileMaker is having a hard time.

They really need to get in contact with their user base and developers.

Cheaper licenses is the way to get more users.

Let's see ... if enough users won't upgrade from 12 and IWP ... they might get the picture.

Best regards

Per

• 10. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                            LSNOVER

Yes, you can connect to WebDirect through a Web Viewer.  It does use a license connection.  

What you can't do is use a Web Viewer to conncect to a WebDirect session inside of a WebDirect session, which I would also love to do.  Maybe down the pike.  It certainly would open up some interesting possibilities.  But we are early in the game with this technology.

• 11. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                              user16172

FMScot is a Filemaker user group with mainly Scottish members. As one of the founding members of FMScot I provide hosting facilities to the members so that they can test their solutions and evaluate the hosting I provide from my own servers. Please note that this facility is intended for demonstration and trial of applications rather than to provide free commercial hosting. Currently I have two virtual machines on my network; one with FMSA11 and the other FMSA12 for such use but I expect to add 13 very soon.

I would like to extend an offer to other Filemaker developers to take up the same free hosting offer that FMScot members enjoy. To fund this free service I intend to provide commercial Filemaker hosting for members clients. This will start at a relatively low cost and solutions can be hosted in a shared environment or for customer with greater demands I can supply dedicated Virtual Servers to meet their exact requirements. This can be either with the customers own FM license or by me supplying one within the hosting plan.

I will not elaborate further because I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch; it's not, it is a genuine offer to assist the developer community and I look forward to hearing from those who are interested.

• 12. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                                kaostika

Would be great if the client didnt burn a license, since I have one.  I am thinking Webviewer within a Webviewer would be an issue.  Inifite recursion and all that

• 13. Re: No WebDirect in FileMaker Pro or Advanced?
                                  filemaker@perolsen.dk

@user16172

It is a great offer.

But according to my host, there might be a problem with sharing a single database server:

"... but FileMaker Go and Web Direct connections will require a virtual

dedicated server due to the rumored inability to limit connections

per-database ... "

How are the license rules for virtual servers? One license per server?

If that is the case, I can't afford to upgrade the non-profit databases I run to FileMaker 13.

And one solution, I am currently developing, for a greentech ngo will definately have to get cancelled.  :-(

It was based on a reasonably hosting price using IWP for the users.

I will certainly get a very hard time getting small clients to use FileMaker. They'll just use Google Docs instead and live with stupid spreadsheets.

Best regards

Per