1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 9:36 PM by skyrocket1

Show/Hide Personal Information

skyrocket1

credit card.png

Is there a way I can Show/hide personal info to view when I want it to view and for it to be in like a (*******) mode the rest of the time?

I know I can create other user accounts when they cant see certain fields, files, or tabs but I dont need the information as an admin viewed all the time. It gets seen only like 1x a month when an order is going to be made. Hope that makes sense.

• 1. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
          jrenfrew

You have a second field to store the number, then on that layout with a script trigger on the field on validate which replaces the visible contents with ****** and on object enter copies it back

• 2. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
            erolst

You don't need a second field (avoid schema overhead when possible); simply create a text object with the scramble characters, place it underneath your data field, and format the data field as follows: "Normal" mode transparent, 500pt font size (yep!), "In Focus" mode with opaque background, normal font size. If you want to actually control the field access beyond the mere visual, use a) access privileges for the actual security, and b) a script trigger for the user experience.

• 3. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
              skyrocket1

Ok I understand that I want to avoid Schema overhead.   I follow what your saying in your directions but not 100% what you mean and how to do this.  Not sure where to find focus mode.  Can you please break down the steps to do this?

• 4. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                erolst

skyrocket1 wrote:

Ok I understand that I want to avoid Schema overhead.

That's good – it took me a long time to get there …

Anyway, just enter Layout mode and open Inspector -> Appearance tab. There you can set the options for your field as described above within the Style panel (or at the topmost panel, at any rate; just using 13, hope they haven't changed the name …).

Let me know if you need further assistance.

• 5. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                  skyrocket1

I follow but a little lost.  I seem to take things literal so please bare with me.  What am I making transparent the field or the text?NORMALSTate.png

This is what my inspector looks like

infocus.png

I dont see a place for scramble charters or where I make something transparent or opaque.

Im only 3 days in so far of really learning this stuff.  In btw work ive been attempting to understand how this all works.

• 6. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                    keywords

Ray Cologon has a technique called Auto Bullet Fields available as a demo on his website:  http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demosX/demoX05.html

• 7. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                      skyrocket1

I dl the "DMG" but it opens as a fmp file and not a dmg.  I have FMP 12 adv so it had to convert it first.  Im not sure if it lost the dmg when it converted. 

screen-capture-1.png

Thats all I see    This is harder than i thought 

• 8. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                        skyrocket1

Wait so after reading what you wrote for like the 102nd time I understand what you saying.  Make another text under my first and make the **** transparent and make the actual password "invisible"  Ok.  That makes sense now completely.  I would need it to show.  Something like a show/hide button to view when I want to actually see it.  I guess the button that will view it will have like a "access priviledge" to adv to the show the information.

Hide.png

In Bento 4 which was a former filemaker app.  It had this where it looks like this and the app did most of the work for me which is great.  With FMP Adv I see that the roles switched.  Im doing most of the work and its not so enjoyable.  In any case.  This is what im attempting to create. 

Hope thats clear.

If I understood your idea as I described above it sounds good but then id have to go through a process to actually view the info.  I need something nice and simple if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

• 9. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                          keywords

Don't worry about the DMG, but in any case, here is Ray's fp7 file. If you are using a later version of FM just open it from there and it will convert.

• 10. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                            skyrocket1

ok so whats the next step from there?  I can see it hides and theres a button that quickly shows it.  How do I incorporate this into what I have created already?

(you must get very little sleep like me or maybe we in different time zones lol)

• 11. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                              keywords

Take some time to study the demo file to see what is going on—essentially a scipt driven by a script trigger that substitutes whatever text you type.  You can copy the script, the field and the field instance into your solution and then adapt it to suit your purpose.

• 12. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                                skyrocket1

Yea, I actually did that but messed some things up in the process and trying to figure out how to fix those things.  I got the feature to work but got some errors poppin up from some other ideas that I tried that I failed at

• 13. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                                  erolst

Well, I'm probably in a different timezone …

If you don't want to actually hide and protect the field content, but simply have them masked until you click into it, then the demo file and its approach is probably overkill.

Here's a brief demo of what I described; also, tick the checkbox to switch between, say, a manager and a data entry person, who is not allowed to see the field contents (what in a real solution would be determined and controlled by access privileges).

skyrocket1 wrote:

In Bento 4 which was a former filemaker app.  It had this where it looks like this and the app did most of the work for me which is great.  With FMP Adv I see that the roles switched.  Im doing most of the work and its not so enjoyable.

Bento 4 was a glorified contact manager, while FM is for all intents and purposes a programming environment. It lets you do more complex stuff, which by its very nature is more complicated to implement and learn. You'll get there …

• 14. Re: Show/Hide Personal Information
                                    skyrocket1

No, that a mask.  A show/hide.  KEYWORDS sent a zip to show/hide and while I got the I got the field to work but keep getting a button error code for the button to Show. 

Hide.png

screen-capture.png

This is all I want it to do.  When you click on the button it just prompts a password.  The idea sounds simple in my head.  I dont know if its a very complex task tho

1 2 Previous Next