1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 3:56 PM by kupietz

FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?

deannerene

I have read through the specs and believe this to be the case but wished for a confirmation on this. FMS 13 is compatible with Mavericks (10.9.x) but is not compatible with Mavericks Server.

I have been running FMSA 12 on ML Server with no problems but have been unable to get the preview of 13 to run on Mavericks Server. Seems that the admin console will not load. Making administration of the server impossible.

I am not sure of how I can “Uninstall” the server portion of Mavericks without erasing and starting over. This is something that I am not willing to do at the moment. I am hoping that this is not a permanent restriction and will be corrected soon. If not we may be looking for another solution.

• 1. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
          steve.winter

Howdy

For me, the install of FMS13 preview also failed on Mavericks (not server) when attempting to use my existing install of PHP/Apache.

I got it sorted after a bit of mucking round with the Apache config files - the thing that was tripping things up was the path to the SSL certs... I can look to provide specific instructions if that would be helpful...?

Cheers

Steve

created by deannerene in Server and Server Advanced - View the full discussion

I have read through the specs and believe this to be the case but wished for a confirmation on this.  FMS 13 is compatible with Mavericks (10.9.x) but is not compatible with Mavericks Server.

I have been running FMSA 12 on ML Server with no problems but have been unable to get the preview of 13 to run on Mavericks Server.  Seems that the admin console will not load.  Making administration of the server impossible.

I am not sure of how I can “Uninstall” the server portion of Mavericks without erasing and starting over.  This is something that I am not willing to do at the moment.  I am hoping that this is not a permanent restriction and will be corrected soon.  If not we may be looking for another solution.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Server and Server Advanced by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2014 • San Antonio, Texas • July 28-31 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 2. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
            deannerene

Thanks Steve,

Anything you can document would be helpful.  Was yours failing to load the Admin Console?

Funny that I attempted to test 13 with the preview a few weeks ago and it ran but was going to require more work than I could give it to test any files.  I put it away and just got new test hardware for the pending upgrade to 13. 

Thanks for the help.

Deanne

• 3. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
              JaredHague

It would be great to figure out if there is a way to run both FMS13 and 10.9 Server at the same time.  I like to use the wiki on the same server and a couple of small websites.  Right now I have gone the route of having FMS13 in a virtual machine.  It would be nice if you could just add the console and the FM Direct site to the lists of pages in the admin console.

• 4. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                deannerene

I have just tried the demo version on technet with the same results.  Everything installs (although the installed item count ends before the progress bar is half way through the install) but when it tries to load localhost:16001/admin-console the browser reports that the server is not responding.  I have tried it with web services turned on and off in the server app.  Going to localhost in a browser returns a generic FMS info page.

Scanning the ports on the system shows that 16001 is not open but the 16000 port that was used for admin console in 12 is open.

I am running a solution that will require AD logins and a machine that I can set group policy on for the FM users.  If I can't do this as I have in v12 then I would have to run another server just to be the open directory master replicating the AD.

Deanne

• 5. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                  deannerene

I have just successfully installed 13 on Mavericks Client OS without any issues.  I am still unable to make it work for Mavericks Server. 

During the process, I have also received notice of my FMS AVL being updated to 13.  The CPUs that these run on are also ML Server OS.  This appears to work with 13 also. 

The big question is do I wait for FM to fix this omission or start looking into alternatives?  Damn shame since I just convinced my company to renew the AVL and now I have to tell them we will be spending more money on another solution and a rewrite.

Deanne

• 6. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                    deannerene

I have found a work around for this issue.  It comes down to install order.

I erased and reinstalled Mavericks (10.9.0) on my server.  Not something I was very happy to do but fortunately I keep my servers in a condition were this is possible.

Next, I installed FMS 13 and ran through the deployment and setup.

Finally, I installed Server (v3.0.1) from the app store.

I have successfully bound this to my AD and created the local groups containing the AD users that will be using the FM solutions.  Everything works.

Deanne

• 7. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                      JaredHague

are you able to host webpages and use the wiki?

• 8. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                        deannerene

To be honest, I am a little afraid of attempting that.  I do not need the wiki just the OD->AD binding and user control.  I know that my previous attempts failed at the point of doing anything with the FM web server.  Doing this might just cause everything to fail.  I have another Mini that I could try that on but will not be able until next week.

Deanne

• 9. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                          Nick.McCloud

I suspect, after taking the long road yesterday with a Mountain Lion Server install attempt, that FileMaker Inc are telling us that the Mac OS Server component and FMS are not happy living together on the same machine - effectively you end up hijacking the http server thereby blocking many of the server components, or you try to use the http server which annoys FMS.

• 10. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                            lhallberg

See page 72 of the fms_13_getting_started.pdf.  It talks about OS X Server, Apache and conflicts with FMS 13.  Also note Monitoring performance in OS X on page 77.

• 11. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                              Diver

Ihallberg, thanks for pointing out that information, that is very helpful.  I have a box running 10.9 server and I turned off 'Websites' using the server admin before starting the FMS13 installer.  Even doing this, FMS 13 installer compained that ports 80 & 443 were being used and asked for permission to turn them off.  I told the installer to disable them so the FMS 13 install could continue.

After the install I was able to upload databases for hosting but there are things that are unclear when trying to run FMS 13 on a 10.9 OS server.  Page 72 says FMS installs it's own version of Apache.

1) How do you host other static web sites that do not require FileMaker at all on this machine if you cant use the hosting feature of 10.9 server?

2) How do you host dynamic sites that rely on custom web publishing with PHP to FileMaker Server?

3) If these two items can be done, where do the files go so that Users can be created using the Server Admin and permissions can be set to allow the owner of the hosted sites to have access to their sites files?

4) If this can't be done, are we being forced to a two machine installation because FMS is meant only for Single Machine to do Web Direct?

5) Are we in jepardy of future 10.9 server updates installing something that would break FMS 13 Apache?

I have looked for this information and can not find it.  If FileMaker would chime in or if someone else knows the answers I think many would be greatful to hear the details.

• 12. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                                lhallberg

Diver those are great questions.

1.  Can you have another web server installed alongside FileMaker Server 13 build of apache?

Only if that web server is not hosting on port 80 or 443.

When you install FileMaker Server 13, it will attempt to override any other installed services using those ports.  If it succeeds, your FileMaker 13 Web Publishing and Admin service will work, and your existing web service will not.  Else, visa versa.

2.  Why does FileMaker Server 13 install sometimes succeed in installing it's Apache and sometimes not?

The installer cannot account for all the variations of Apache configs you might have installed and running, and therefore cannot always success in overriding your existing Apache.  It's best to shutdown and/or unsinstall any service using port 80 or 443 before installing FileMaker Server 13.

3.  Can I have OS X Server installed and running on the same machine as FileMaker Server 13?

Yes, but I woudn't.  FileMaker Inc recommends NOT installing and using FileMaker Server on a an OS X machine that has other File Sharing types processes in use (AFP, SMB, FTP, etc...).  See FileMaker Inc recommendations under "Setting up and configuring..." of their fms13_getting_started.pdf, page 74 and OS X specific on page 75.

4.  How do I uninstall OS X Server?

Throw the Server.app in the trash.  It will trigger internal code which safely and correctly disables the Server daemons, and effectively shuts down the server.  Reboot.

5.  Can I use FileMaker's install of Apache as my web server, hosting other sites alongside the Web Publishing Engine stuff?

FileMaker rolled Apache for their purposes: support CWP and Web Direct.  If you want to try and use that as a web server for other sites, your mileage may very.  FileMaker Inc is not going to support your use of this.  Very risky.

That said, the droids you are looking for are in /Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/htdocs. Enjoy.

6.  Can I use another web server installed on my machine alongside FileMaker's install of Apache?

Absolutely.  You just cannot host on port 80 or 443.  Remember, FileMaker Server 13 installs apache to work on both TCP ports 80 and 443.  If you have or install another application which tries to use those ports, one of the apps will fail on boot.  Look at MAMP product as an alternative for hosting websites alongside FileMaker Server 13.

In Conclusion.  FileMaker Inc wants to make sure their product works for you as advertised; they've decided to roll and manage their own version of Apache to ensure that.

At any point in time, future FileMaker Server updates could alter the installed Apache configuration and break any Apache adjustments you've made.

• 13. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                                  goetch

I have managed to get both working on the same machine, but have not tested it out enough to know what consequences might arise... If someone is willing to test PM me and I will share how I have done it thus far... 

• 14. Re: FMS 13 Mavericks Server Compatibility?
                                    Diver

Frustration has set in.  I created two Virtual Machines on one machine.  One with 10.9 Server and one with just 10.9 Client.  I went to do a two machine install of FM13 Server.  I first thought the 'Worker' machine should be installed on the 10.9 Server VM but it complained that it had to disable port 80 and 443.  For this reason I quit the install and started the install of the 'Worker' machine on the 10.9 (not server) machine and it worked fine.  I then went to install the FMS server (Master Machine) on the 10.9 Server machine.  It too complained and said it had to disable ports 80 and 443.  Unless I mixed something up, FMS 13 would not install on 10.9 server no mater what part of a split FMS install was done.

goetch, I will find out how to PM you to discuss this further.

1 2 3 Previous Next