5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 12:41 PM by ryantittle

A question about concurrent users.

ryantittle

We currently have two solutions on one server that use each other as external data sources. Despite having one browser window open, if you look at the client in the admin console, it shows 2 open DBs. Would that count as one concurrent connection or two?

Specifically, is a concurrent connection a connection to the server, or a connection to a specific file on the server?

• 1. Re: A question about concurrent users.
          steveromig

ryantittle wrote:

We currently have two solutions on one server that use each other as external data sources. Despite having one browser window open, if you look at the client in the admin console, it shows 2 open DBs. Would that count as one concurrent connection or two?

Specifically, is a concurrent connection a connection to the server, or a connection to a specific file on the server?

Keep in mind that a concurrent connection only applies to FileMaker Go 13 and FileMaker WebDirect clients when used with FileMaker Server 13. 

So in your scenario above you are not burring ANY concurrent connections at all.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: A question about concurrent users.
            ryantittle

Confused. I was referring to a client accessing a solution on server via a web browser

• 3. Re: A question about concurrent users.
              ryantittle

adminconsole.png

Here is a screenshot of what I mean. Of course this is in 12, so it's IWP instead of WebDirect, but I believe the premise remains the same, as the layout of the "Clients" view in the 13 admin console looks pretty much the same.

• 4. Re: A question about concurrent users.
                steveromig

Ah...let me take another crack at this then.

If I access a solution using FIleMaker WebDirect that has twenty (20) related files, that counts as one (1) concurrent connection as I am really only accessing one of those files at a time if you think about a SDI (single document interface) interface which is inherent when using a web browser.  So even though I might have twenty (20) files open, in reality I have one (1) open and nineteen (19) open in the background.

Now, if that same user opens another tab in their browser and opens another FileMaker WebDirect file / solution then that would count as a second concurrent connection within the same browser.

When it comes to FileMaker WebDirect, thinking in terms of SDI should make questions like this a little easier to wrap your head around.

This knowledge base article might answer any additional questions that might pop up

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12504/

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: A question about concurrent users.
                  ryantittle

Thanks Steve. I was leaning toward that being the correct answer. The confirmation surely is a load off my mind.