10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 11:58 AM by worldcloud

FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs

MartinCrosman

Client Memory CPU

16-2612 GB8-Core
      27-5016 GB12-Core

The above is the recommended specs for FMS 13 using Web Direct. I don't think there is any Mac hardware that can meet this minimum requirement. Am I right?

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
          sicoa

There will be once Mac Pro's are out! Although not sure about the 12-core (might be available as an upgrade)

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
            NickLightbody

Hello Martin

I am getting excellent performance over WAN - I am in Sussex - the server is in Nottingham - with a Snow Leopard MacMini Server which is now running OS X 10.8.5 with 8 GB RAM.

However, I caveat that by mentioning that I am running a system - originally written for FMGo last year - which is simple and very fast - i.e the login time for FMP is 3.5 secs, iOS7 takes 6 secs and FMWD takes 0.74 secs.

A classic much developed complex system migrated from .fp7  to .fmp12 will likely not perform as well.

Cheers, Nick

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
              MartinCrosman

Apple web site says quad core or 6 core for MacPro. 2999 and 3999 respectively. As you noted there is the option to configure these up to 8 and 12 core processor. No pricing on that available.

Anyone have Windows based options to recommend?

At first glance this seems to be another hidden cost in moving to FileMaker 13.This would esclate considerably if I cross the 50 connection limit and require a second server software and hardware. I am think my FileMaker server is hosted mulitple solutions and 50 concurrent connections would be servicing multiple solutions.

I have yet to take out my pencil and run some numbers to see where this all comes out!

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
                LSNOVER

You can pick up a used Dell R710 with 12 cores, 32GB of RAM for about 4K.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
                  MartinCrosman

That is good news. I was really wondering about performance with 16 to 50 concurrent Web Direct connections. It would be great news if your set up could handle that!

I should add that I have not a chance to read the server documentation but from the FileMaker Site it seems to state that there is no longer a need for two or three machine deployments.

Thanks

Martin

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
                    ca78

I believe it says they recommend a second machine once you go over 6 Concurrent WebDirect connections.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
                      steveromig

I should add that I have not a chance to read the server documentation but from the FileMaker Site it seems to state that there is no longer a need for two or three machine deployments.

And for the record....there is no longer an option for a 3-machine deployment for FileMaker Server.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
                        MartinCrosman

Thanks guys. I have reading the documentation on my list of to do and there no doubt is some learning to do.

So there is the cost of the second machine to factor in. Are there specs for this second machine?

Actually I have too many questions I need to do some research and come back.

Thanks again for the info

Martin

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
                          ca78

It is listed on the Tech Spec page for Server on the Filemaker website.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Tech Spcs
                            worldcloud

The mid-level GP servers from NEC can be configured with 96 cores per machine us Xeon e5 processors. HP, Dell, SuperMicro and most other vendors except Apple offer this sort of machine in a 1U chasis. If Apple had updated the xServer, it would be offered in a similar configuration. When these machines are 'divided into virtual machines', the cost and density of these systems are so much better than the new Apple Mac Pros, that it makes it difficult to make the argument that a Mac Pro should ever be used in a serious deployment where price, perfromance, and density are concerned.

Most of the vendors above also offer on-site 24 hour support which Apple does not.  Apple made a decision to not compete in the server market when they discontinued the xServes, which where respectable servers. When coupled with vmWare or Hyper V technology, the argument towards Windows becomes more compelling for large WebDirect deployments...