7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 2:26 PM by kaostika

CustomList Help

kaostika

Hi, I am making a Check all for Subsummary parts. I can make it add all the records below it with the new SummaryList function. I am not able to substitute them out using the Custom List function. Seem I have too much recursion. Can someone help

Oreste

• 1. Re: CustomList Help
          erolst

Why use a CF, when you have a script that can loop?

• 2. Re: CustomList Help
            kaostika

Don't want a script.

Oreste

• 3. Re: CustomList Help
              erolst

Don't want a script.

You have a button with a script (step) - where's the difference? And what do you want to substitute the values with? I can't read your formula …

• 4. Re: CustomList Help
                KylePutzier

I'm curious why a script would not work adequately in a situation like this. Is there a particular reason?

Kyle

• 5. Re: CustomList Help
                  kaostika

I want to set a checkbox field and not set multiple fields.  If I have a thousand records I want set one field.  Easier to maintain I think

The goal is to get all the body id and set them,  then I want to use the substitute to clear them if possible.

• 6. Re: CustomList Help
                    erolst

kaostika wrote:

I want to set a checkbox field and not set multiple fields.  If I have a thousand records I want set one field.  Easier to maintain I think

When I said looping, I didn't mean “looping through your records”, I meant “looping through your original list” and do something to the value of each iteration, then set the field (in the one record).

It's the same thing a recursive CF does, though arguably can be a lot easier to grasp (and I speak from experience).

Use a CF for a calculation field that can change dynamically by itself; but if you use a script/step anyway, then you might as well have a loop.

btw, if you just want to clean up a list (I'm still not sure what is is you're after – a list of unique values?), there are bespoke CFs that can do just that and are easier to use – CustomList seems to be more of an all-around tool.

• 7. Re: CustomList Help
                      kaostika

I tried the CF that were in the file.  They didnt seem to work.