1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 7:06 AM by steveromig

Filemaker 13 Update Goofy

guy@guym.com

When installing the FM13 update, it actually installs a new app, GO 13 and GO 12 remains installed. FM13 does not have access to the databases stored from FM 12. Or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
          codecruncher

You willl have to transfer the fmpur files manually with the help of iTunes in the 'File Sharing' section of each FileMaker Go app.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
            steveromig

guy@guym.com wrote:

When installing the FM13 update, it actually installs a new app, GO 13 and GO 12 remains installed.  FM13 does not have access to the databases stored from FM 12.  Or am I missing something?

Codecruncher is correct.

FileMaker Go 12 and FileMaker Go 13 are two seperate apps on an iOS device.  Because of the sandbox nature of iOS, having your v12 files automaticaly show up in v13 is not supported.  As Codecruncher mentioned, your best bet is to transfer the files using iTunes.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
              guy@guym.com

But isn't that plain dumb?  We already have issues with providing solutions via i_store or iTunes... now the user must mangle a broken upgrade system. 

Sure, I can email the files (slow and not gonna work if large) or otherwise manhandle them.  But again, why can't FM make it easy for developers... simply allow an OPEN file menu to find all fmp12 files.

PITA.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                steveromig

guy@guym.com wrote:

But isn't that plain dumb?  We already have issues with providing solutions via i_store or iTunes... now the user must mangle a broken upgrade system. 

Sure, I can email the files (slow and not gonna work if large) or otherwise manhandle them.  But again, why can't FM make it easy for developers... simply allow an OPEN file menu to find all fmp12 files.

PITA.

Understood.  Could be worthy of adding this as a feature request here

But again, this is more of a limitation of iOS and less of FileMaker Go.  For the most part, iOS does not allow interaction like that between two applications installed on an iOS device due to sandboxing limitations.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                  jormond

Steve,

When you tap a link in an email, the file download will all you to select what app that file goes with. So emailing a link to a Profile Config, allows you to create a home icon specifically for your db.

But this doesn't work in FM Go. The download gets blocked. Is that something on the radar to address?  Because it would be super awesome way to allow a user to self-install a shortcut to the database...either with a link to the config file on a server or within a container field in the db and install with a button tap.  Thoughts?

• 6. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                    steveromig

But this doesn't work in FM Go. The download gets blocked. Is that something on the radar to address?  Because it would be super awesome way to allow a user to self-install a shortcut to the database...either with a link to the config file on a server or within a container field in the db and install with a button tap.  Thoughts?

Don't know.  You can submit that as a feature request here if you'd like...

http://forums.filemaker.com/hives/8b17a2e667/summary

As an alternative you can check out this article...

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11033/

OR

Download and play around with FileMaker Go App Maker here...

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/community/ios

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                      mark_scott

Guy,

Steve is, of course, 100% correct that iOS has never allowed "sharing" of files between apps; FileMaker is just one of about 10,000 ("wild guess") developers who have come up against this utterly inflexible "sandboxing" limiation. 

That said, here is a thought to consider when you submit your feature request to FileMaker:

iOS does allow apps to include an "Open in…" command that will open (/copy) the current file in another app that is registered with the OS to handle the particular file format in question.  The file is then copied into the other app's sandbox.  Therefore, perhaps the feature to be requested of FileMaker, Inc., is actually an update to FileMaker Go 12 to add an "Open In… [FileMaker Go 13]" command.  The process would still not be as transparent to the user as Go 13 being able to automatically find and open files from Go 12's sandbox — that's a feature request for Apple, Inc., not FileMaker, Inc., but you'd only be the 10 millionth and 1 (another "wild guess") person to submit that request, and so far Apple has shown no signs of relenting — but at least it could potentially provide a not-too-painful method to get non-hosted files copied from 12's to 13's sandbox.

Just a thought.

Mark

• 8. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                        codecruncher

One of Apple's app rules is that an app cannot have a link that will allow the user to install updates or enhancements. In addition Apple's sandbox regulations do not allow the automatic transfer of old FMGo 12 files into newer versions. Apple has made exceptions to app rules for some of their own apps but so far FileMaker has not been included.

• 9. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                          codecruncher

Wouldn't the fmpur file remain in FileMaker Go 12 even if it the  "Open In...." command is used to open it in FM Go 13 and subsequently be erased when FileMaker Go 12 is erased?

• 10. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                            mark_scott

Not exactly.  "Open in…" creates a copy in the receiving app's sandbox and leaves the original in place in the originating app's sandbox.  For scenarios where iOS developers and their users have long pined for true file sharing between different apps, this is a hard limitation, but for an app upgrade scenario, this is a good thing.  If and when the user eventually deletes FM Go 12, its files do vaproize along with the app deletion, but the copies that were created in Go 13's file area are now the property of Go 13 and not linked to the originating app.

At least that's my understanding, and observation of how things work on iOS, where "Open In…" is fairly upbiquitous (if no substitute for true file sharing).

Mark

• 11. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                              codecruncher

Great tip - thanks!

• 12. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                                guy@guym.com

All of which begs the REAL problem... why isn't 13 an upgrade to 12; why make it a newly installed application. If I update any other of the 1,000,000+1 apps, they are Upgrades and not a new app.

Acrobat, Files-to-go, nook, kindle, etc. all of which read files for display - as does GO - replace the old ver with the new... no extra work for the user.

• 13. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                                  codecruncher

I actually like the fact that FMGo 12 ist still available after installing FMGo 13. Dragging the files over took to the new version took less than a minute. After testing it took 10 seconds to revert back to FMGo 12. I don't plan to update but I needed to test for compatibility.

• 14. Re: Filemaker 13 Update Goofy
                                    jormond

Yeah, I know about the app maker, but it's not automatic and can't be controlled without manual user intervention.  I have submitted the request. Just hoping it was important enough to be talked about. LOL

1 2 Previous Next