1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 9:29 AM by paradocs

Installing FMS 13 on Windows

Datagrace

Trying to install on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I keep getting that error message that says ports 80 an 443 have to be closed, and 80 is

open. Click to close ports. I click, long wait, get the same message.

I re-assigned IIS to port 8080. Nada. I deleted all inbound and outbound rules that used port 80, probably causing no end of problems later. Nada.

Any ideas? If there are no rules assigned to port 80, how can the installer think it is in use?

John Weinshel

• 1. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
          wimdecorte

Hi John,

The rules are not what keep the ports open, they are just traffic cops.  Stop IIS altogether from the services control panel and then try to install.

• 2. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
            Datagrace

I did not know that.

Odd-- IIS does not show up in the list of services. From the IIS Manager, I stopped the server. The fact that I don't know if that means I am stopping the service or doing something entirely different suggests the damage I am afraid of causing.

In any event, no joy-- same result.

Wim, is there a CL command I can issue to tell me what service or app is attached to the port?

• 3. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
              steveromig

Datagrace wrote:

Trying to install on Windows Server 2008 R2.

And just to confirm, you are using Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1?

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                wimdecorte

Datagrace wrote:

Wim, is there a CL command I can issue to tell me what service or app is attached to the port?

This should help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281336

• 5. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                  Datagrace

Thanks, Steve, for making me check. Yes, SP1.

John

• 6. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                    Datagrace

Thanks. Looking from Task Manager at the Services tab and sorting by PID, no service or app is attached to port 80. Same result using netstat -ano from the CL. Same result after reboot.

John

• 7. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                      wimdecorte

Is there an install or deployment log file that perhaps has a bit more detail on why it stops?

• 8. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                        Datagrace

These are all in the Application logs. The first 2, going backward in time, are i Information, not !Error. The Detail pane on both is a bunch of what look like memory addresses:

i: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: FileMaker Server 13. Product Version: 13.0.1.224. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: FileMaker, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1602. [detail:

i: Product: FileMaker Server 13 -- Installation operation failed.

Next is an !Error that wouldn't seem to be connected, but I notice that on every attempt, this error comes about a minute before the failure. The source is 'CAP12'. The other entries' sources are all 'MsiInstaller'.

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Next is more interesting, about 15 minutes earlier, probably an earlier attempt:

i Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: FileMaker Server 13. Product Version: 13.0.1.224. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: FileMaker, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1602.

Then the cycle repeats.

• 9. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                          james_quiggins

Hi John,

If you shut down IIS then are able to confirm the port remains open this could be caused by another peice of software. I've encountered instances where WAMP or other software packages will use port 80 independently of IIS.

Can you verify that once IIS is shut down port 80 does indeed close? Try a telnet or netsat to determine the status.

If port 80 does close after IIS is shut down its possible that you have some sort of security software blocking FileMaker Servers actions on that port. Perhaps next step would be attempting an install with all 3rd party services disabled.

James Quiggins

FileMaker Inc.

• 10. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                            Datagrace

Hi James,

In the meantime, following Wim's suggestions, I have indeed determined, using netstat, that nothing is attached to port 80. Wim also asked about the logs, and something odd is that, about a minute before the failure is logged, a different process, 'CAP12', logs this entry:

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

That would not seem connected to the install failure, were it not for the fact that it is logged consistently with each attempt. Is it possible the installer trying to grab a library or some other object and getting blocked for some reason?

If the problem cannot be pinpointed, I would need some guidance 'attempting an install with all 3rd party services disabled.' I fear you mean manually disabling many, many services, an unsettling prospect.

WAMP, or at least MySQL,  is indeed installed on this box, as is SQL Server 2008, if memory serves.

• 11. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                              Datagrace

[followup to my earlier reply]

Just tried again, this time checking the event viewer as I went. The error I posted earlier, entered by 'CAP12', is logged right before the 'Welcome to the Install Shield Wizard...' pane. So it must be invoked by the installer unpacking.

• 12. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                                Datagrace

This issue has almost been resolved. James helped troubleshoot the box, and eventually found the installer was being hindered by 2 services (MS SQL Server Messenger and something similar) without any apparent connection to port 80, Apache, or anything else that would seem germane. It appears the installer's tripwires are too sensitive, but it may not be easy to fix, since the operating theater needs to be clear to allow WD to do its job. Hopefully, FMI will sift through this and other incoming regarding Windows deployment and gather the results into a KB article.

A hearty shoutout to James Quiggins, at FMI, who has the tenacity of a rottweiler. Thank you for your investment of time and thoughtfulness.

John

• 13. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                                  CarlSchwarz

I'm getting this on Windows 8.1

I haven't worked it out yet but perhaps it could be because I have visual express installed??

Edit: I restarted the machine and it worked...

• 14. Re: Installing FMS 13 on Windows
                                    worldcloud

We experianced this on a ton of different configs in the pre-release version of FMS13, but have found the current installer to have addressed most of our issues. Prior to last week, we had not been able to install on Windows Server 2012R2, as they 'list' states 2012 or 2008R2 SP1, but I really wanted my Start menu back. Not to mention, we are working on deployments which will largely go untouched for the next two years, so using the most recent version of the OS feels like the right move.

At one stage, we had some success in going to the IIS manager and completely delating the 'Default Web Site' prior to running the FileMaker Server 13 installer.

1 2 Previous Next