AnsweredAssumed Answered

Managing CSS and filesize - improvements in FM13?

Question asked by TomDupre on Dec 6, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 by mark_scott

I have a fairly complex solution consisting of several files, the main ones being data and interface files (ie it uses the separation model). The solution is currently in FM11. One reason for not converting to FM12 was the initial performance issues. The other main reason was the limitation of themes - eg not being able to create custom themes (at least if following FM's advice), to apply styles globally or generally to have direct access to the CSS. One issue resulting from the new themes feature was that the interface file more than doubled in size - from about 30MB to over 60MB. FM13 offers some improvements (I suppose it was never going to be realistic to expect access to plain, optimisable CSS), but the filesize issue is the same. Has anyone any tips or suggestions for addressing this issue?

There are a few graphics which I could replace using gradients (but only a small number, and they are shared between layouts). I imagine the main problem is the amount of CSS (or whatever FM does to the CSS) produced to recreate the 'customised' version of the default Classic theme. I tried converting to 12 and removing all styles from all layouts (something which I think is much easier in 12). This made a considerable difference - it removed almost half of the extra filesize, but the file was still a lot larger than the 11 version (and not very pretty without any styles). It would probably be close to double the size again by the time I had styled everything again from scratch (and I would be quite a bit older too).

Assuming that much larger filesize is not an intrinsic feauture of FileMaker's themes, I imagine the only way to produce a .fmp12 version of this file without the superfluous megabytes would be to start from scratch - at least as far as the layouts are concerned. This would be a huge task which wouldn't be feasible, at least only over time. Can it really be that .fmp12 files have to store so much superfluous/redundant 'theme data' and that there is no way of optimising them in this respect? I may well be missing something and would be very grateful for more information or suggestions. Have others just converted or has anybody felt the need to 'rewrite' (or at least recreate layouts etc.)?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Dupre

Outcomes