14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 7:37 AM by DavidZakary

It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!

jgalt

The new and much improved interface features of FM13 brings FileMaker developers a huge step closer to creating solutions that look and feel like native applications. Since Apple owns FileMaker why don't you work things out between the two companies and let us FileMaker developers start selling solutions in the Apple App store to increase revenue instead of implementing your new and overpriced concurrent licensing plan? Surely taking 30% of what we sell through the app store will generate much more revenue!

• 1. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
          tesla51

+1

Still wondering why we don't have FMGO advanced for IOS and the ability to déploy in the App Store.

So much money lost for Apple and Filemaker...

• 2. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
            kickniko

Amen, jgalt!

But I have the impression that the conditions for letting any small developer participate in the whole process are going to get harder and harder with time. It seems that the idea of the traditional SME is being abandonded totally in favor of just some few giants who remain and control the game. Such a pity, since the best new ideas came exactly from such small companies and developers - I am new here but I already found tons of them in the community.

I'd be only glad to be proved wrong, though.

Cheers,

Nick

• 3. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
              intex

First then, the runtimes should be signable with codesign again (under Mavericks) ... reported it as a bug for 12, didn´t test it on 13 so far. Anyone tried ?

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/128130#128130

• 4. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                ontarget

And how do you plan to convert a binary to run on the iTunes store?

IOS is not even close to be capable to support Filemaker outside of using FM Go. I would like to see FileMaker Go solutions on the iTunes store. But the delivery of the Go app in the App store would not work seeing they are not IOS app designed with Xcode and Object C. Your asking for two different programs to be married without a way for them to meet.

• 5. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                  ontarget

To the question of using your own web site to sell FM Go solutions?

Let me ask this question; if there was a central web site for all developers to list the FM Go solutions would you list your apps on this site?

If the site had a similar interface to the iTunes store for searching for a solution would that help your clients find your app?

Would you be able to support custom apps and provide unlimited support to your clients?

How would you get exposure on the internet where people can find your apps?

The real world:

iTunes is the place where you get all of the items above.

Millions of people search iTunes each day for apps.

The down side:

The app store has a problem finding apps due to a really bad search system!

I cannot find even my own apps when I have the correct title for the app.

Getting found on iTunes for your app is difficult and thousands of apps are added each week.

If I had a vote, I would scrap the app store and start over with a better engine for buyers to find apps.

The buyer comments on iTunes are not effective! Users only add negative remarks as a roule.

There is no perfect solution:

I am very impressed with the crop of apps now being added in 2013 to the app store. For to long people were making copies of other developers concepts and designs. But Apple corrected that this year by stopping the copy of ideas and release of similar apps. No dought this would not stop FM solutions from being copied in a app store environment where FM Go was offered.

I have spent endless hours working from my own app site to perfect the user experience just to find that buyers have become so fickeled about the cost of the app that they miss the point of the app quality.

The bottom line:

If the developers can organize where an FM Go site could be created where a small donation to the administrator of this site could afford to host all developers, then this could solve the questions raised in this forum.

• 6. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                    usbc

Under the banner of DayDreams:

- Create a conventional iTunes App which sells conventionally on the Apple Store

- That app includes the licence for, say, any 3 FMgo apps listed in the app

- The FMgo apps might be hosted for download on a site that is mirrored by some of the FM Hosting companies

- The original iTune App can  include paid updates for an additional 3 FMgo apps, etc

[] The revenues get divided between the consortium of hosting companies and the individual FMgo developers

[] Some contractual obligations from the developers to not shortcut the co-operative will keep the pump primed

• 7. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                      ontarget

FM Go Solutions:

- Create a conventional iTunes App which sells conventionally on the Apple Store

A. In otherwords an in app sale? Interesting approach.

- That app includes the licence for, say, any 3 FMgo apps listed in the app

A. iTunes is a place where Apple takes a hard line on CONTROL of products. The in app sale for example is normally a feature within the same app that is upgraded. It is not tied to the sale of another product. I found with my apps that Apple will want to review any outside app content, and you also need to read the rules for in app sales to meet the guidelines. other than that go for it!

- The FMgo apps might be hosted for download on a site that is mirrored by some of the FM Hosting companies

A. I do that now and I have tried other hosting companies where that was the intention. You might be surprised to learn that the income for hosting cloud apps is very small. The hosting company will not consider paying you anything for bringing them a client. Then they will in some cases want a cut of the sale. It took me over a year to get the hosting company to even list my apps on their site, and then only after the apps proved to be good enough to bring in hosting business.

- The original iTune App can  include paid updates for an additional 3 FMgo apps, etc

A. Contact the hosting company I use to speak to Joey and ask him about the cost increase for WebDirect and FM Go seats $$$. www.oditech.com

[] The revenues get divided between the consortium of hosting companies and the individual FMgo developers

A. As you stated your dreaming! Hosting companies are competing for business and they don't share anything.

[] Some contractual obligations from the developers to not shortcut the co-operative will keep the pump primed

A. If you have FM solution/s the buyers will need to trust you first, and second they want the apps for almost free. FM apps take days if not weeks to design. The buyers today want apps under and not over $100 for a basic app and a custom app will need to be at $50 but not over $300.00 to get any attention. In the last 35 years doing apps I am now selling apps at rock bottom to draw in sales. It is a volumn business and not something that will support a family. In years gone by it was a very good second income. Today you need exceptional apps just to get noticed.

I also dreamed about a developers web site where all developers can list their apps and build a following, but I have resigned now to the facts that it would cost you a ton of $$$ to advertise the site to bring in sales.

• 8. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                        DavidJondreau

People have tried. It's a hard problem to solve. Not the building of the actual store, but the marketing, advertising, etc necessary to get a threshold of people using it.

For example: http://fmforums.com/forum/files/category/2-solutions/

• 9. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                          tbill

This solution already exists in the free market place.  Apple will never design a tool that will transport Filemaker onto Android devices yet that's what you need to do to be competitive.  Today a solution exists that does both stores.  You can get your FMP solution on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store looking as great as you make them.  Sell them or give them for free, your choice.  Why keep waiting for tomorrow when today is here, check out www.appyourway.com and let millions of folks decide if they want what you've designed.

• 10. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                            gdurniak

Interesting. Thanks for posting

Your FAQ is a bit troubling, e.g. "our experience has been that the performance of FM 13 Server is significantly worse than FM 12"

Just curious … why are GPS Services not available ? I thought this happened on the local OS, not the Server ?

greg

> check out appyourway.com

• 11. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                              DavidZakary

I was told that appyourway is basically a web viewer front end to FMS - an App Store-approved layer between the user and FMS. You're likely going to be stuck with the restrictions of the wrapper app. If there is something in FM you want to do but the appyourway wrapper doesn't support it you're going to be out of luck.

• 12. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                                tbill

Hi Greg,

FMS 13 was used in our first attempts to get Apple and Google to approve our apps but each failed because of performance.  Locally we were getting responses of 1-2 seconds but from California they were getting responses of 30-40 seconds.  One of our contacts in India waited 5 minutes without getting to the login screen, just the spinning wheel.   So we moved the databases back to FMP12 and the response times went to less than 1 second, from India 2 seconds and Apple along with Google approved our apps and continue to do so for our customers too.   FMS 13 tries to maintain a contact, constantly refreshing and the slightest interference, such as moving between cell towers can drop the connection or if the user closes their iPad.  FMS 12 does not maintain a connection and only connects to the server upon request, like any other HTML query based language such as PHP.  This means we could close our iPads or move between towers on LTE or 3G and get consistent performance.

With respect to GPS services, Apple has blocked that feature from being used unless it's written natively, we have it working without problem on Android devices.

Even with it's few limitations, the reality is that finally, Filemaker developers can get their databases on the stores in front of millions of people for the first time in it's history, it will only get better from here.

• 13. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                                  tbill

HI David,

Correct, it's basically just that but the webviewer is a native code element of IOS and it's limitations are imposed by the restrictions of Apple.  We've worked around most of those using PHP such as taking pictures and uploading them and even GPS has been worked around using address information instead of real time tracking such as door to door delivery.  Our 'wrapper' app took over a year to perfect as Apple's inherent system is flawed when rotating the device along with the fact that Apple will not approve apps submitted to the Store that are just web viewers.

But even with these shortfalls in mind, appyourway has done what has never been done before....bring a Filemaker based solution to millions of potential users.   In discussions that I've had with FMP with respect to FMP14, it's possible that many performance related issues will be resolved, hopefully Windows users won't be left out and hopefully we'll gain the huge potential GUI improvements we saw in FMS 13.

We initially went the GO route, offering this to clients but it was impossible to reach the world audience and only a few downloaded the GO app and of course we didn't have any access to Android.  With appyourway you get access to both worlds and corporations need to only build one 'wrapper' for IOS, distribution is managed for them via the store while updating the content remains in the developers hands because the 'wrapper' is just another web client.   We have many clients who use PHP and other technologies using the same 'wrapper' and for them it's been terrific because they don't have to learn how to build an app in Xcode or Android.

• 14. Re: It's time to start letting us sell FileMaker solutions in the Apple App store!
                                    DavidZakary

Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to trivialize the app (if it sounded that way). Its an interesting approach to getting around a whack of limitations in getting FM onto the App Store.