10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 5:47 PM by LadyBear

Sub-summary + individual reports

LadyBear

I have worked out how to do a sub-summary for report I would like for each of my students, but it didn't turn out quite the way I was planning. I did a sub-summary for students based on their subject enrolments. So I get a sub-summary by student by course.

It goes something like this like this: What I would like is

Header Header

Student 1 Name and ID Student 1 Name and ID

Course 1 Course 1

Information for that Course Information on that Course

Footer

Course 2

Information for that Course Header

Student 1 Name and ID

Course 3 Course 2

Information for that Course Information on that Course

Footer Footer

Header Header

Student 2 Name and ID Student 1 Name and ID

Course 3

Course 1 Information on that Course

Information for that Course Footer

Course 2 Header

Information for that Course Student 2 Name and ID

Course 1

Footer Information on that Course

etc Footer

etc

Of course, filemaker is doing exactly what I asked it to do. So, how do I ask it to do what I want it to do.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
          davehob

Your examples have got somewhat scrambled and hard to understand.  Could you re-post, perhaps wiith a screenshot or PDF, so that the structure is clear?

• 2. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
            erolst

You don't need a summary at all, since you're not summarizing anything. Use a sort order of Student and Course and make the layout exactly the size a printed page as per your Page Setup.

• 3. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
              LadyBear

I have just tried to upload the sceen image as a pdf and it is too large.

• 4. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
                LadyBear

Yes, I do.  Each student is doing a number of subjects for each course.  (the information by course or course information).  The sub-summary lists the subjects with payments owing, payments made and total owing. 

At the end of each section you have a TOTAL Debt - which is why I need the sub-summary.  This is for every student by every course.

The problem is I need to provide each student with a page for each course and I am not sure how to get the information out that way.

• 5. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
                  erolst

Upload the image as a png, then let's discuss this further.

• 7. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
                    erolst

From what I can see, I still think that all the data you want to show comes either from the parent table (Students), or from the native record in the join table, because those data are attributes of the StudentCourses table. So there aren't data that result from summarizing a found set.

If I'm wrong here, and you actually need to show *the same* summarized data for the student on all StudentCourse pages (e.g. (guessing here) all payments for all Courses for the current year, or the count of all courses), then you can place those summary fields into the body part, where they are repeated for each record, instead of into a summary part where they are "summarized away" and will only appear on the last (or first, depending) record.

In short: whatever you only want to see once in summarized form for a group of sorted records, you put into a summary part; what you want to see repeatedly (be it an individual record value or a summary value), you place into the body.

• 8. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
                      LadyBear

All the financial information belongs to the registration table. 

We have student personal information - which links to the registration vie the student id.

We have a subject table - which links to the registration table via student id.

We have a course table - which links to the registration table via student id.

• 9. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
                        erolst

LadyBear wrote:

All the financial information belongs to the registration table. 

We have student personal information - which links to the registration vie the student id.

We have a subject table - which links to the registration table via student id.

We have a course table - which links to the registration table via student id.

Well, then everything's just dandy – you have a list of Registrations records, where all student- and course-related data come from the related tables, and the financial data comes from the Registration table itself, i.e. the record(s) you're on, and is different for every Registration record.

So for each record within a set for one student, the course data is different, and the registration data themselves are different, and the only thing here that could be summarized by (because it's the same in this set) is the Student name – but since you want to display it on every page, you don't do that. Which makes this a list instead of a summary layout.

• 10. Re: Sub-summary + individual reports
                          LadyBear

Thanks everybody for all your assistance.  I have now worked out a solution.  The real problem was connected to finding the appropriate students by course in the original layout before going to my sub-summary report, then making sure my sub-summary and sort variables were correct. I finally had three days last week to play and got everything working.  I have also now entered a report period so that I can do a report  and get totals by Semester.

Thanks for everybody's assistance and apologies for not explaining well.  This may be because it wasn't clear in my head what I needed to do.