11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2013 1:12 AM by user14047

FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX

Alchemist

FileMaker 13 for OSX doesn't seem to like Webdings.

Opening the same hosted database with FileMaker 13 for Windows and its all good.

Opening the same hosted database with FileMaker 12 for OSX or Windows and its all good.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have seen similar issues with earlier versions of FileMaker and updates fixed the incompatibility. It seems to me that FileMaker 13 for OSX has reintroduced and earlier problem.

• 1. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
          RonSmithMD

I haven't noticed problems. What are you having specifically happen?

Now I think I have seen if you copy and paste text or field items (one or the other or both) with a 'nonstandard' font into a different layout, that I have to reselect that font. It seemed to me that layouts had to have that font 'added' to them by selecting the font for that item.

Ron Smith, MD

• 2. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
            Alchemist

This is an existing operation solution.  Webding charaters have been used on layouts with conditional formatting. 

All was good prior to FileMaker 13.  All is good in FileMaker 13 for Windows.  FileMaker 13 for OSX renders the characters with the wrong font.

If I edit the layout and add a text label and set it to Webdings it generally does not allow me to choose Webdings as the font, unless I hold down Command and Option together.  It then says in the Inspector that its Webdings, but it renders in some other font.  If I close the file and open with FileMaker 12 for OSX it displays correctly (i.e. in Webdings).

Consistent behaviour whether its an existing .fmp12 file or a new one ... FileMaker 13 for OSX does not render Webdings.

• 3. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
              RonSmithMD

I found that, but then I can go back and choose Webding and it think it corrected it.

Ron

• 4. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
                Alchemist

I have not gotten Webdings to render correctly in FileMaker 13 for OSX.

Given that the file format has not changed between FileMaker 12 and FileMaker 13 none of the layouts needed to be translated/converted and that I don't have the issue with the same solution in FileMaker 13 for Windows and its ONLY a problem in FileMaker 13 for OSX, then I conclude FileMaker 13 for OSX is broken.

Looks like I'll be staying with FileMaker 12 for OSX until at least the next update.

Malcolm

• 5. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
                  RonSmithMD

I did get it to paste the special character when I used PopChar to insert a webding character into straight text.

Ron

• 6. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
                    Alchemist

If I edit the layout with FileMaker 13 for Windows its all good in FileMaker 13 for Windows and FileMaker 12 for OSX ... but broken in FileMaker 13 for OSX.

I'm not prepared to go through all the layouts in an existing solution tweeking something which is only broken in FileMaker 13 for OSX.

Thanks for the suggestions but FileMaker 13 for OSX is broken.

Malcolm

• 7. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
                      RonSmithMD

I didn't mean to imply that you should, Malcom. But as a postmaster for PMBx.net for some 15 years now, I can tell you how useless it is when someone tells me that they didn't get so and so's email...could I check their email box and see what's wrong? It then makes sense to them that I need the error message email with the exact error number or error message even if it is to just get the exact time of the email so that I can locate the problem entry in the myriad of logs my mail server generates.

What I was trying to do is characterize my experience. FileMaker folks read these posts and whatever we can report that can accurately characterize the problem and not just present as something they need to look into, then we have helped our own selves.

Effective communications are, well... effective.

Warmest regards,

Ron

• 8. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
                        WKamann

Hi there,

we´ve got the same problem: in FileMaker 13 the font Wingdings doesn´t work (neither on OSX 10.8, 10.9 or Win7).

I remember vaguely of the same problems between an older version (maybe FM 8 or 8.5 to 9 an changing the OS from Postscript to TrueType).

Regards, Willi

• 9. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
                          Alchemist

Yes, as recent as v11 it was broken.

The ReadMe doc for FM 11.0v2 included the line ...

• Addressed an issue where Webdings or Wingdings fonts were not useable

Lets hope 13.0v2 includes the same fix and isn't far off.

For me its only broken for OSX ... Win7 appears to be ok.

• 10. Re: FM13 ISSUE - Webdings on OSX
                            techt

Ran into the same problem. Panic mode ensued. Opening up Font Book on the Mac, select and copy the character from Webdings and then paste over the existing in the current layout, and all is better.

Not sure what caused the break, but this takes care of it.

Webdings (and other fonts) are nice because as a font, they scale and allow conditional formatting that is much simpler to use than graphics, and therefore less to go wrong IMHO.

TT