1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 12:06 PM by joshua.brock

WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password

taylorsharpe

I have been running a URL for a registration web page (public access) using Instant Web Publishing. The URL under FileMaker Server 12 and IWP was:

http://filemaker.taylormadeservices.com/fmi/iwp/cgi?dbpath=%2Ffmi%2Fiwp%2Fcgi%3F-db%3DTRAdatabase%26-startsession&acct=account&name=Registration&password=Registration&login=Login&-authdb

I'm trying to duplicate this in WebDirect and want to know what the URL would be for Web Direct. I know it starts out like:

https://filemaker.taylormadeservices.com/fmi/webd#<TRAdatabase>&acct=account&name=Registration&password=Registration

I know page 26 of the WebDirect Users Guide gives the following example URL:

http://<IP address>:<Port number>/fmi/webd#<database name>&lay=<layout name>&viewstyle=<vie w>&record=<record number>&mode=<mode> 

I just am not sure how to put in the User Name and Password (or if there is a way to have it default to Guest or however you can by pass giving credentials since this is public access that anyone can get to.

Thanks for any assistance!

TAYLOR SHARPE

Dallas, Texas

• 1. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
          jrenfrew

Is it not the same as it used to be?

If Guest is the only account enabled for WebDirect it will log straight in, if not it will show the password dialog box..

You could pass the user name and password like you did as parameters to a script the will then relogin?

• 2. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
            taylorsharpe

I was hoping to use other accounts for WebDirect, but they would be used by the organization's staff and have higher privileges than a guest person registering. 

Passing user name and passwords in the URL is how it worked in IWP and I only imagine it also works for WebDirect except that I do not know how to format it. 

Basically I am looking to bypass the credentials on WebDirect for public users. 

• 3. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
              macmekker

Hi Taylor.

I am looking for the same thing. Did you figure out a URL containing username and password for WebDirect?

Everybody always answer "Why do you need that?" But I understand you 100%, and have even had FM developers say "Wow, how did you do that?" when I log into IWP and XSLT simoustanly from our public login-form.

I really need to have this figured out before I can convert my solution to FM13. (replacing IWP with WebDirect)

(and yes, I know I will loose the XSLT part of this)

...Lars

• 4. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                GordonShewach

I'm in exactly the same situation, Taylor and Lars. I have a FileMaker 12 IWP solution working perfectly. A user who bought something from my client gets an email link to take a survey about their purchase experience. The link takes them directly to a single protected layout in the database to fill out the survey. No login required. No security issues because they only access what I allow, and the exposed password in the URL is for an account that has no privileges except to enter a few survey questions on their sales record.

Short of there being some syntax allowing this in WD like there is for IWP, I guess I'll have to enable the Guest login with the proper permissions and prompt the user to login as Guest. I would think with how robust WD is and how much FMI is pushing WD, a need for automated login will become that much more important.

Gordon Shewach

• 5. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                  mikebeargie

The re-login script step is supported by WebDirect.

Instead of passing your username and password via a URL, which is highly insecure (and I've always hated for when I've made FMGoshortcuts that login a user), the new "standard" seems to be to allow the default guest login, then re-login accordingly in the initial script.

This also lets you account for WebDirect connections (vs. desktop, FMGo, etc..) and different accounts, or even force a login box as part of your OnFirstWindowOpen script.

Not the worst thing ever, just need to adapt your solution. WebDirect is not IWP, nor should you expect it to behave the same way.

• 6. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                    GordonShewach

Interesting angle, Mike. I'm going to test that out. Thanks.

WD isn't IWP, but I don't know why the URL scheme can't have similar functionality.

And while exposing user/pw IS highly insecure, FMP's security allows me to restrict access to 1 layout, a few global fields, and a single script. But I can do the same thing for the Guest account.

Thanks again for the idea.

Gordon

• 7. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                      WBullard

Mike's suggestion would work, but the way Taylor was using the URL to pass the login in the URL is my preferance since the calling website can have a login form that looks professional. 

Did anyone figure out how to duplicate the functionality that IWP provided in this regard?

Thanks,
                      Will

• 8. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                        alan40201

We used the IWP account/password URL to direct different clients to different portions of the solution.

So we just put different links on a web page, and then each link took them to different entry point in the solution.

Not a security issues as a access path to different parts of the solution.

So really need WebDirect to allow one database, with multiple access rules.

[UPDATED]

After my original post I found the information that allows us to pass the layout name, which would work for our solution. As it is only a survey and we want different groups to answer different questions, so it was not a matter of security we passed USER/PASS in IWP, but as a way to direct people to different parts of the solution.

Just needed three parameters

IP_NUMBER

DATABASE_NAME

LAYOUT_NAME

<A HREF="http://IP_NUMBER/fmi/webd#DATABASE_NAME.fmp12&lay=LAYOUT_NAME&viewstyle=form&mode=browse">LINK</A>

Message was edited by: alan40201

• 9. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                          hickam

I have made use of the IWP link in a solution to email it to a customer so that it not only logs them into a specific file automatically but also takes them to a specific record. (The account name is used as find criteria to bring up a single record.) The system is locked down so that someone using the credentials can not navigate to another record, layout or really do anything but log out. Furthermore, security is not as big a concern as it is for the customer to only see their information. I do not feel the need to explain why this is so valuable to my client but to only say that it is a legitimate need and Web Direct  should support it. I am also surprised that FileMaker, Inc. has not responded to this with a white paper or at least a Knowledge Base article. (Not to mention response to this thread.) Does anybody out there know how to do this with WebDirect or of a resource that could point the way? Or perhaps even an official statement that says that it can not be done?

• 10. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                            jrenfrew

and what is also working is going directly to a specific record..

MYIP/fmi/webd#demonav&lay=records&viewstyle=form&record=3&mode=browse

takes me to the third record

seems to be in the creation order, not actually get ( recordid ) but get (recordnumber)

john

• 11. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                              hickam

I have tested this and it is correct. It takes one to the record number which is of little use as this constantly changes and cannot be used as a unique identifier. Furthermore, if the database requires credentials, it asks for them. We have been using a link that allows us to log in AND use the account name as find criteria to bring up the correct record. We create an account for each record.

The question is can we do THIS with Webdirect? Not something else but THIS.

Sent from my iPad

• 12. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                                dburnham

The peculiar thing about this is that the record number being passed by FileMaker to the web browser is neither the Record ID, nor is it the Record Number as we know it from the Get(RecordNumber) command.  If it is the creation order, you would expect it to be the Record ID, but it's not.   If you create a few dozen records, delele several, sort them this way and that and then Unsort, you find that the RecordNumber being passed to the browser using Get(RecordNumber) is not the same as the Get(RecordNumber) that you see in a Data Viewer.

I have a table with 64 records.  There are 53 in the Found Set.  I am on the last record.  The Data Viewer tells me that Get(RecordNumber) is 53.   I pass it to a URL and in the browser's URL window, I see this:   

http:// ...... &viewstyle=form&record=57&-find

• 13. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                                  Malcolm

You’ll probably find that the parameter “record” matches the value in get(recordID).

Malcolm

• 14. Re: WebDirect URL conversion from IWP URL with account name and password
                                    dburnham

I wish it was true but regrettably it's not

1 2 Previous Next