1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 2:26 PM by tesla51

I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.

tesla51

I have a dream.

A new line or re-worked line of FMP products.

Wher Filemaker inc. makes big money. And where developpers can still developp and sell local or web solutions with Filemaker.

- Filemaker GO (IOS, WinPhone to be discussed)

- Filemaker Desktop : Filemaker Go for PC / Mac (public price = VSLA FMP Price)

- Filemaker Professionnal

A super Filemaker Advanced, higher priced, but with those very features (and others) :

Native Scheduler -
      DBplanner connected to a table

Dynamic Field labels
      Labels that can be renamed on the form (in any view)

New DBgrid
      Kind of portal with Native sorting capabilities or list view that can be embedded in a Panel

Native Progress Bar
      Progress bar shown and performing during a script (on the desktop and in the web browser)

Client-server / Web connection for the Runtimes
      Ability for the runtimes produced with FMPA to connect to a local or remote server

Charting in the RunTimes
      Ability to make Charts in the runtimes

PDF in the RunTimes
      Ability to make PDF in the runtimes

Email Sending with HTML feature
      Message can be formated in HTML

- Filemaker Server + connections packs (the business model we have now in FMP 13)

- Filemaker pro and Filemaker Advanced : no more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can already do all those things with for some instance Delphi or Lazarus and PostGreSql or FireBird, or in Windev/WebDev, or in 4D and others major EDIs...

But I would like (for speed), to favor Filemaker.

We'll see.

May be some of you have different point of views. That could be very interesting if you whish to share them.

Thanks in advance.

• 2. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
          tesla51

Thank you so much !

I had forgotten I had probably used it dozens of time.

But I'm getting old.

• 3. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
            jrenfrew

Hang on, hang on, hang on.....

A super Filemaker Advanced, higher priced

I have 4 advanced licences, so I can develop and test simultaneously on Mac and PC and different versions of those OS too.

Why do you want to move the burden of cost onto the very people who are doing the development to sell the other licences of you envisaged FMGo?

I am not a big development shop (as you say in the US)

PDF in the RunTimes

You can already. OK, not from your print layouts through the print engine, but you can.... trust me.

Ability for the runtimes produced with FMPA to connect to a local or remote server

Why would FMI do that as it wipes out the need to even pay for a thin thin client?

Native Progress Bar

Progress bar shown and performing during a script (on the desktop and in the web browser)

Based on what?? Records IDs in a loop? To measure what kind of operations?

• 4. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
              tesla51

jrenfrew a écrit:

Hang on, hang on, hang on.....

PDF in the RunTimes

You can already. OK, not from your print layouts through the print engine, but you can.... trust me.

Excuse me jrenfew but I knew that, I've been using some of them in my runtimes... for years...

You probably know those tools :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software

Why would FMI do that as it wipes out the need to even pay for a thin thin client?

Because the user would pay for the "connection" (connections pack) to a server. Free for a local app.

Native Progress Bar

Based on what?? Records IDs in a loop? To measure what kind of operations?

Do you know what is a thread ? If so, you know what I mean.

Based on what ? May I suggest you to read this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_bar

• 5. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                jrenfrew

That'll be a language thing then.

Based on what....

By which I did NOT mean what kind of progress bar, but what is it that FM would be measuring to guess at how long the whole script (or process) will take to run and how far along that we are. It is easy to calculate if I am say moving a 100Mb file and I can measure the speed of copying so can take an educated guess at how far along the process I am... but I was (seriously) interested in what kinds of thing you want to use this for in your scripting. FMP already has progress bars for things like importing records from XML, which it can do using the methodology above, but if there is a script which loops through 1000 records, skips 900 but doesa 5 second task on each one it does not skip how do you envisage a progress bar helping there?? Well I mean based on what are you maeasuring? Records? But surely it will be jerkign around like a mad learner driver beweeen quick progress and stalling.

• 6. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                  ColinKeefe

I think the feature could be defined pretty clearly as two new script steps without tying it to specific database operations:

Set Progress Bar [On/Off, Percent/Indeterminate]

Set Progress Bar Status [percentage]

Set Progress Bar Status would be invoked in a looping process or whatever else you want.  It's on the developer to provide meaningful progress updates, not FileMaker.

That said, Jeremy's feature submission link is probably the best way to go here.

• 7. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                    jormond

haha...That's funny tesla. John writes his PDFs from scratch. No 'tool' needed. And can be generated from Client, Go, WebDirect.

• 8. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                      tesla51

Ah Ah Joshua !

I think there is PDF and PDF § I mean making a PDF from a single web page is easy and can be easily done with WebDirect or any browser.

But is it possible to make a pdf from a report in WebDirect ? That is the question !

• 9. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                        tesla51

Not my code and it's written in object pascal, but that gives an idea (I like mine better).

See if it speaks to you.

interface

uses
                          Winapi
                        .Windows, Winapi.Messages, System.SysUtils, System.Variants, System.Classes, Vcl.Graphics,
                          Vcl
                        .Controls, Vcl.Forms, Vcl.Dialogs, Vcl.StdCtrls, Vcl.ComCtrls;

const
                          WM
                        _UPDATE_PB = WM_USER;

type
                          TForm12
                        = class(TForm)
                            ProgressBar1
                        : TProgressBar;
                            ProgressBar2
                        : TProgressBar;
                            Button1
                        : TButton;

procedure Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
                          private
                          public

procedure WMUpdatePB(var msg: TMessage); message WM_UPDATE_PB;

end;

var
                          Form12
                        : TForm12;

implementation

{$R *.dfm}

procedure UpdateFromThreadViaMessage;
                        var
                          i
                        : integer;
                        begin

for i := 1 to 100 do begin
                            Sleep
                        (20);
                            PostMessage
                        (Form12.Handle, WM_UPDATE_PB, i, 0);

end;
                        end;

procedure UpdateFromThreadViaQueue;
                        var
                          i
                        : integer;
                        begin

for i := 1 to 100 do begin
                            Sleep
                        (20);
                            TThread
                        .Queue(nil,

procedure begin
                                Form12
                        .ProgressBar2.Position := i;

end);

end;
                        end;

procedure TForm12.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
                        begin
                          TThread
                        .CreateAnonymousThread(UpdateFromThreadViaMessage).Start;
                          TThread
                        .CreateAnonymousThread(UpdateFromThreadViaQueue).Start;
                        end;

procedure TForm12.WMUpdatePB(var msg: TMessage);
                        begin
                          ProgressBar1
                        .Position := msg.WParam;
                        end;

end.

• 10. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                          jrenfrew

OK

Cards on table

I just made this from WebDirect, and its one of the simpler things I can do. (WebDirect is of course just a way to get a browser session to run a script on my server.)

The background is in a container, the photo is in a container, the font used is in a container and not installed on my server, the text data all comes from an ExecuteSQL query - AND there is no physical layout to do all of this.

Now who wants a game of PDF shootout.... all this sparring has left me oddly combative

john

• 11. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                            jrenfrew

Not totally my code, written in Groovy for use with ScriptMaster...

// progressBar ( interval ; fm_title ; fm_label ; fm_done )

// 12_11_10 JR

// v1.1

import groovy.swing.SwingBuilder   

import javax.swing.WindowConstants as WC

import java.awt.BorderLayout as BL

import javax.swing.BorderFactory

import java.awt.Toolkit

i = 1

udate = {

while(i < 101){

current.setValue(i)

try{

sleep(interval.toInteger())

} catch (e){ return e } //end try

i++

} //end while

} // end udate

SwingBuilder.build(){

frame = frame(title:fm_title, size:[300,100], locationRelativeTo: null, show:true, defaultCloseOperation:WC.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE){

panel{

borderLayout()

current = progressBar(id:'pb', indeterminate:false, value:i-1, orientation:0, stringPainted:0, maximum:100, constraints:BL.NORTH)

current.setBorder(BorderFactory.createEmptyBorder(10, 30, 10, 40))

label = label(text:fm_label, constraints:BL.SOUTH)

label.setBorder(BorderFactory.createEmptyBorder(20, 30, 10, 12))

} //end panel

} //end frame

} //end build

Thread.start(){

udate(current)

label.setText('<html><font color=\"#FF5500\"><b>' + fm_done + '</b></font></html>')

Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep()

sleep(1200)

frame.dispose()

} //end thread

return true

• 12. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                              tesla51

Great job John !

Correct me if I'm wrong : it seems to be a pdf from a Form, a single record in view mode so to speak.

Could you get the same result with a report made from a list of say 200 records ?

• 13. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                                tesla51

Great !  Thanks John.

But, correct me if I"m wrong,  I cannot see any synchronization or "listening" to others threads with this code.

May be I miss something?

• 14. Re: I have a Dream... A new line or re-worked line of FMP products. Filemaker inc. please, read. Thanks.
                                  jrenfrew

Thanks

It is not a 'form', just made to look like one, all the text is 'typed' over a blank... I can certainly do this 200 times, either as 200 seperate files or one 200page file.... clever stuff like inserting header pages before each letter of the alphabet page and then numbering often then comes as an action right at the end....

I started with the 'blank' (which I made for this client too)... and in this case the x and y positions on the page for each field 'name' is stored in a linked table so it is relatively easy to completely change the position of any piece of text -  so the same function can do many different types of form background just by passing different parameters to the creation function

1 2 Previous Next