4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2014 3:20 AM by gdurniak

FileMaker Inc is Listening

TimDietrich

For those who think that FileMaker Inc isn't listening to the community, here's proof to the contrary:

Terry Barwegen, the Senior Product Manager at FileMaker Inc, took time this afternooon to read and respond to a somewhat critical blog post that I had written about WebDirect ("FileMaker 13's WebDirect: I want to like it. I really do."). In his reply, he addresses the printing issue, performance and hardware requirements, and more.

http://www.timdietrich.me/blog/filemaker-13-webdirect-want-to-like-it/

Also, this has been mentioned before, but it is worth mentioning again: If you have FileMaker feature requests or suggestions (we all have wish lists, don't we?), then head over here and let FileMaker know.

-- Tim

• 1. Re: FileMaker Inc is Listening
          jasontallman

Tim,

I just finished reading your post and Terry's response was nice but did little to really answer any of your concerns. What concerns me is you mentioned that Filemaker Server v13 seams slower even when working with Filemaker Pro and Go clients. It is nice for Mr Barwegen to make an obvious statement that "yes, we can always improve performance, and we intend to. " that does nothing to answer why with this new release they've managed to degrade performance for traditional Filemaker clients.

WebDirect looks great. In fact it looks amazing compared to IWP, but as you mentioned it is very much a 1.0 version. I believe that exactly one of the reasons people are hung up on the pricing. They are charging a per connection price that would be more inline with a much more mature version of WebDirect. At this point it feels as though your paying Filemaker to be a beta tester. A simple solution in my opinion would be to cut the concurrent price in half until WebDirect is more mature. Then charge the remaining half for WebDirect connections when Filemaker 14 or 15 is released and WebDirect has the majority of the bugs fixed.

On the Filemaker client side as a developer I'm loving 13. It has given me a level of control over my layouts that I've only dreamed of.

Thanks

Jason

• 2. Re: FileMaker Inc is Listening
            gdurniak

We saw performance drop going from FileMaker 6 to 9,  then again from 9 to 11

I hate to say it, but I miss FileMaker 6.  On a Gb Network, it screamed

greg

> What concerns me is you mentioned that Filemaker Server v13 seams slower even when working with Filemaker Pro and Go clients. It is nice for Mr Barwegen to make an obvious statement that "yes, we can always improve performance, and we intend to. " that does nothing to answer why with this new release they've managed to degrade performance for traditional Filemaker clients.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Inc is Listening
              donntarris

Greg, the same is true of a G4 running OS 9 vs OS X... screams! Seems that slowing down with future releases seems to be a relative thing - in that FMI is related to Apple Inc...

Although it's interesting to have my FMPro screen layout be mirrored near perfectly on the web, it's not why I use FMPro. I'd be happy if they had just continued to allow FMPro Advanced (where it should be) or the Server version (didn't make sense) to be able to generate good clean code to fit into one's html design. There are armloads of people who can design web pages, just give us what we're missing.

This reminds me of MS Word - a word processing package that Microsoft kept on pushing towards being page layout software. IT's NOT!! And it doesn't have to be. For me, FMPro doesn't need to be a web design tool, I only need to be able to connect to it.

I have several Mac computers running in my office - an OS 9 version G4 tower that does some audio processing. Then I have a Snow Leopard version running all my first generation Adobe products, a Lion version running my audio and FMPro development applications, and then a Mavericks installation for testing, so I can predict what problems my clients may run into.

I have clients who were perfectly happy running FMPro 6 solutions, but they had to upgrade to Snow Leopard for their Adobe applications, at which point their FMPro 6 died...

• 4. Re: FileMaker Inc is Listening
                gdurniak

It is a shame that someone just figured out how to inject javascript into instant web publishing, just as IWP got discontinued

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/135299#135299

greg

> Although it's interesting to have my FMPro screen layout be mirrored near perfectly on the web, it's not why I use FMPro. I'd be happy if they had just continued to allow FMPro Advanced (where it should be) or the Server version (didn't make sense) to be able to generate good clean code to fit into one's html design. There are armloads of people who can design web pages, just give us what we're missing.