LSNOVER

How about some Kudos!?

Discussion created by LSNOVER on Dec 11, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 by Daniel Farnan

While there is some understandable consternation over new pricing and licensing policies with FM13, I want to share some good news and thanks.

First, thank you to FMI for putting out a solid release with some of the best new features ever in a Filemaker update.

We're only a week and change in, but so far, this product is magnitudes better off the line than Filemaker 12 was. (Folks remember that pain?).

In less than a week, I have recieved my update, installed FM Server, and rolled out our first version of an actual working web based version of our software. No Citrix, no terminal server. I've modified a few key routines to run using the new Perform on Server script, and while the interface is not as "snappy" as FMPro, it is extremely usable, and the key functions of our application are actually running faster, with less "mess" on the client workstation than with any previous release. Because we can now do things on the server, we are now allowing remote clients to purchase and install FM Pro and connect in to our server remotely. The performance is VERY VERY good, and initial testing shows it to be robust. The fact that I was able to accomplish all this in a matter of days is a TESTAMENT to how good and usable Filemaker Pro is.

I want to add, that our application's interface is one of the gnarliest animals out in the Filemaker wild. We have over a thousand fields, dozens of tabs, and we are pushing FMPro, let alone WebDirect to it's bloody edges. We made only minor tweaks to get the app up and running in WebDirect, and it looks DARN GOOD. The server we are running on is six years old, and moderately equipped. We are putting a new/used server in that will have 12 cores, 32GB of RAM and a RAID 10 drive array as a dedicated WebServer for Filemaker and expect the speed to be even better. Total cost for that server was less than 4K.

Now, this is V1, we have some minor glitches (far less than the healthcare.gov site). No show stoppers so far. We have to roll our own printing engine. I expect to spend a couple weeks doing that. We expect v revs will improve things and we expect to hit some snags. But overall, I am thrilled with what is in this release.

So to all the great engineers, product managers, and other staff at FMI, I want to say, WELL DONE! I haven't been this excited about a new product in many years. I believe we are just getting warmed up, and as a community we will see some fabulous stuff being created with FM13. I can't wait for Devcon this year.

Thank you for all the work that went into this release!

Kind regards,

Lee Snover

Outcomes