3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 2:10 PM by bartprins

Question about dateformat ?

bartprins

Hi there,

Again thanks for helping out with my questions, i'm starting to feel like a leecher hahaha, i'm reviewing the forum but am still such a newbie that i can't answer anyone else's problem.

I've got yet another question, i'm getting data from a third party where they use date's in a format of CCYYMMDD as plain text no dateformat. In my country we use a date as DDMMYYCC for readabillity.

Is there a way to change these values in for example a report?

And as an extra question is it possible to edit the notation when a user enters for example: 01-12-2013 (DDMMYYCC) to 20131201 in a field? In access would do this use a notation but can't really find this in Filemaker

thanks !

Bart Prins

The Netherlands

• 1. Re: Question about dateformat ?
          davehob

Bart,

Re. the extra question, in Layout mode, go to the Inspector, Data, Data formatting.  Choose Custom formatting and then use the various options to get the format you want.  Make sure you set the separators to "none" if you really do want an uninterrupted string.

Re. the first question, if the incoming date is a text field, and in a consistent format (always 8 characters, etc.), you can just re-format it using the various text formatting functions in a calc field.  Something like:

Right(datetext;2) & Middle (datetext;5;2) & Left (datetext;4)

Dave

• 2. Re: Question about dateformat ?
            erolst

Bart Prins wrote:

CCYYMMDD as plain text no dateformat. In my country we use a date as DDMMYYCC for readabillity.

I think the common notation is DDMMYYYY …

Anyway, to parse the date for display purposes, use some Text functions:

For YYYYMMDD a calculation field with

Let ( dus = "YYYYMMDD" /* this would be a reference to your field */ ; Right ( dus ; 2 ) & Middle ( dus ; 5 ; 2 ) & Left ( dus ; 4 ) )

gives you the desired result.

Bart Prins wrote:

And as an extra question is it possible to edit the notation when a user enters for example: 01-12-2013 (DDMMYYCC) to 20131201 in a field? In access would do this use a notation but can't really find this in Filemaker

You're not in Redmond anymore, Toto …

Choose the field on the layout, go to Inspector, Data, Data Formatting, and select the Custom option, which lets you get rid of the delimiters.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Question about dateformat ?
              bartprins

Hi Erolst and Dave,

Sorry for the late reply was out of town for a couple days, but thank you both very much !!!

Works like a charm, walking on the yellow brick road hahah

Thanks

Bart