10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2013 4:53 PM by LaRetta

Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac

Many of you do not visit the other forums and some things are important enough to spread around so:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/90472-webdings-font-dropped-from-13-for-mac/

• 1. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac
          SteveNoble

Thanks for posting, I have notiuced the same thing and I have not had time to chase it down.

• 2. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac
            RonSmithMD

You do know there is a way to get around this that works well for me though. I use Popchar in iDraw to get the image character that I want. I then export it at the size that I want in PDF format. Then I paste that pdf onto my layouts for buttons and such.

Does that perhaps help?

Ron

• 3. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac
              SteveNoble

Are you able to conditional format the object. I have not been able to conditional format a graphic in either 12 or 13. I use arrows for changing records and like like them to gray out when your are at either end.

• 4. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac
                RonSmithMD

You should be able to hide or show them conditionally. I personally like the hide and show better, because even if you conditionally alter the appearance you still have to stop the script associated with the button. Not so if they are hidden.

Ron

• 5. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac
                  Malcolm

Interesting. I’ve been avoiding WebDings for years, for exactly the same reason that I don’t use “Hulk”, “Shaking”, “Midnight Train” or other fantasy fonts in my solutions. You simply don’t want hundreds of hours of work to be undermined because the user's system can’t display a font.

Malcolm

• 6. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac

Webdings is standard cross-compatible font and many developers have been taking advantage of them for years as Boolean and also as graphics, as well as for bar charts.  Good grief, Malcolm.

It would be no different than if Mac stopped Arial.  Point is - people need to know about it because these will break throughout their solutions.

• 7. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac
                      Malcolm

Point is - people need to know about it because these will break throughout their solutions.

Yes, they do need to know that it will break their solutions. That’s a shame for them. Funnily enough, my solutions won’t be affected. Bully for me.

I spent about eight years in publishing and one of the big lessons I learnt in that time is that fonts are designed to meet specific purposes. Trust me, the purposes are transitory. You print to a medium - today, now. You may want a font to have the same display characteristics in a day, a week, a month or more. Choose your font wisely and that may happen but sooner or later there will be teeth-gnashing, tears and hair-pulling because that beautiful font that you spent so much time choosing just isn’t the same anymore.

Many programs that handle fonts will substitute a font. If Arial is missing they will try another sans-serif font. It may not have the same leading and kerning but the “A” is probably still going to be an “A”. How do you handle Webdings? If WebDings is missing the system may substitute Arial. And where did that cute image of a megaphone go?

Malcolm

• 8. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac
                        beverly

Remember that we now have symbols in UNICODE. I haven't tried these lately

in any FMP version, but wonder if these are the direction the world is

heading along with FMP.  Look at the HTML/CSS/JavaScript usage in WD. It's

a browser-based world, isn't it?!

Beverly

• 9. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac

SteveNoble wrote:

Are you able to conditional format the object. I have not been able to conditional format a graphic in either 12 or 13. I use arrows for changing records and like like them to gray out when your are at either end.

Hi Steve,

With Webdings, we would use a single text character which produced the arrow and it could be conditionally formatted to grey at the end - that is a technique I've used for years.  But now we have other tools anyway.  :-)

• 10. Re: Webdings dropped from 13 for Mac

Beverly Voth wrote:

Remember that we now have symbols in UNICODE. I haven't tried these lately

in any FMP version, but wonder if these are the direction the world is

heading along with FMP.  Look at the HTML/CSS/JavaScript usage in WD. It's

a browser-based world, isn't it?!

Beverly

Hi Bev, 

I appreciate the response.  Going forward, we DO have a lot more tools to choose from!  13 is very exciting!