1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 7:59 PM by dburnham

FileMaker Icons

dburnham

Would really appreciate if there was an easy way to differentiate between the versions of FileMaker. On my desktop I need to keep 11, 12 and now 13 available, so I have made my own custom icons and can use my Macintosh Dock to differentiate the one that's running.

On the mobile platform, it's not so easy. I just spent an hour trying to figure out why a hide property and a popover button were not working and then I realized that FM-Go 12 had launched on my iPhone when I tapped on a "profile" that was created with the FileMaker iOS App Maker. Then I remembered why the virtual keyboard was not behaving as expected and why the list views were showing the current record indicator when it was not expected. Duh! After a little while, I am learning that the FIle Browser looks different.

It would be very helpful to have a visual indication of the app version. Just sayin' .....

The attached icon can be substituted for the regular one by using copy/paste in GetInfo.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Icons
          TimAnderson

Thank you, I am amazed that the FM team think that subtle difference in the screwdriver and hammer is enough to help us distinguish the different versions - and remember which is which!

• 2. Re: FileMaker Icons
            Malcolm

Would really appreciate if there was an easy way to differentiate between the versions of FileMaker.

The icons for v11 and v12 are different. Can you see any difference between the icons for FMPro Adv 12 and FMPro Adv 13? I can’t. 

I’ve modified the icon by scratching “13 =“ across the top in bright yellow. The icon software stamped “Unregistered Copy of Opacity” on top in red too. Fuggly, yes, but I know which app is running.

Malcolm

• 3. Re: FileMaker Icons
              stefan_s

Hi Malcolm,

I did it the easy way: I just added the number 12 to the application name. On the Mac, I removed the icon for 12 from the Dock, then re-attached it after renaming. So now my dock shows FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.

On Windows, I just added the version number to the short-cut on the desktop.

cheers

__

Stefan Schutt, Mouse Up, Finland

Malcolm <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 16.12.2013 kello 1.11:

Would really appreciate if there was an easy way to differentiate between the versions of FileMaker.

The icons for v11 and v12 are different. Can you see any difference between the icons for FMPro Adv 12 and FMPro Adv 13? I can’t.

I’ve modified the icon by scratching “13 =“ across the top in bright yellow. The icon software stamped “Unregistered Copy of Opacity” on top in red too. Fuggly, yes, but I know which app is running.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Icons
                BruceRobertson

I create an alias to each; and give the alias a short name; and put that in the dock.

I also happen to put the dock on the right.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Icons
                  Mike Duncan

I made this one (for my own personal use) with a california road sign for 13, which I thought was appropriate since FM is headquartered in that state. This is for OS X:

Download attached file.

Open the icon file in Preview.

click in the image and select all, copy.

On the FileMaker application, do a get info.

click the icon in the get info window and command V to paste.

This is only to help distinquish between the two applications.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Icons
                    dburnham

My eyes are not good enough to differentiate between 12 and 13.  I was able to do it between 11 and 12.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Icons
                      dburnham

well done; thank you.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Icons
                        jormond

I also would like them to differentiate between the icons a little more. Adding the product number would be very helpful. A 13 popping out of the folder is fine, but something.  Currently I also customize my own Icon, I have 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 on my development machine.

Put in your feature requests : http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

• 9. Re: FileMaker Icons
                          Operadad

And just to add more options, here's the one I made. I actually changed the 11, and 12 icons as well. If I hade more time, I would have changed the color of the whole thing.

13.png

• 10. Re: FileMaker Icons
                            DavidZakary

For Mac users, I've put each icon on the Dock as versions 11, 12, 13 (numerical order, left to right). Pretty simple. You can also find Dock dividers to put on the dock to separate them.

But yes, more distinction would be nice.

The tricky part for me is double clicking a 12 file, which I want to open in 12 and it opens in 13.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Icons
                              jormond

That is pretty close to what I was using...except prettier.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Icons
                                Malcolm

The tricky part for me is double clicking a 12 file, which I want to open in 12 and it opens in 13.

I see this as a serious problem too. There is more on this at this thread; https://fmdev.filemaker.com/thread/73522

Amongst other things, v13 introduces the ability to calculate labels. Any script step which makes use of this facility becomes v13 only. If you open these script steps, such as custom label, in v13, the labels will not be accessible to v12.

Malcolm

• 13. Re: FileMaker Icons
                                  BruceHerbach

I have had the issue of double clicking a 12 file and figuring out that I was in 13 a bit later when one of the new features pops up,  like the field picker.  My solution to open the version of FileMaker I want to use and then open the DB from the File Menu. 

This isn't new.  Each time I have installed a new version of FileMaker it becomes the default app.  This was true for version 9,10 and 11 for .fp7 files.  So I'm not surprised to see it on .fmp12 files.

I have to say I was astonished when the 13 icon looked just like the 12 icon. Never expected that.  Thanks to everyone who has posted an updated icon for 13.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Icons

And here is another link to FM icons.  I love this set. 

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/90326-version-12-icon-for-mac-users/?hl=icons#entry414619

The download files are on post #9  :-)  There are files on the opening post as well.  Thank you, Rivet, for providing these!!

1 2 Previous Next