3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 12:12 AM by UrsSchuermann

find empty records in a related table

UrsSchuermann

In a relation (related thru a like this. a::field_1 = b::field_2) two table are connecd. Table "a" has more recored then table "b". Therefore in table "b" appear some records as empty, because no relation can be established (like in a full outer join on any SQL DB). When I perform an interactive find and put an * in b::field_2 then I receive all related records (inner join). Then I select omit for the current found set and I recieve all records which have no relation, since they do not exist in the other table.

This is what I would like to achive through a script. Unfortunatelly may attemp to script this behavior repeatently fails.

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [b::field_2;"*"]

Perform Find []

Show Omitted Only

I receive always all recored instead the subset which I receive when I do it interactive as described before.

Does anybody has an idea what I do wrong? Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: find empty records in a related table
          jmrusch

Try this:

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [b::field_2; "*"]

Omit Record

Perform Find[]

• 2. Re: find empty records in a related table
            erolst

UrsSchuermann wrote:

In a relation (related thru a like this.  a::field_1 = b::field_2) two table are connecd. Table "a" has more recored then table "b". Therefore in table "b" appear some records as empty

Not that this is an inherent consequence, because in a 1-to1-relationship, if A has more records, some of them cannot have a counterpart in B, while each B could be represented in A …

Anyways … if you want to find records in B without a related record in A, you need to be in the B context, and set A::matchfield (or any non-empty related field from A) to "*", not B::matchfield.

Go to layout [ B ]

Enter Find Mode [ ]

Set Field [ A::field_2 ; "*" ]

Perform Find [ ]

Show Omitted Only

• 3. Re: find empty records in a related table
              UrsSchuermann

Thanks guys

I found the "bug". It was my fault. I did a mistake in the programe flow and fired an "show all recoreds" at the wrong position... It works now indeed. Her the explanation may is of some interest:

What I tried to achieve was  something you may would formulate with  the 'SET THEORIE' as 

B \ A

The equivalent in SQL looks like this 

LEFT OUTER JOIN b ON a.key = b.key WHERE b..key IS null

FILEMAKER:

Since I did not come up with a more elegant solution I had to script it this

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [b::field_2;"*"]

Perform Find []

Show Omitted Only

whereas a table occurance is used with a relation   1:n between Table B and Table A and  Key relation b.key = a.key and of course a layout that is based on this table occurance.