12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 5:24 AM by bartprins

Question about Report in Filemaker 12

bartprins

Hi there again,

Thank you for the quick and great responses everytime !

I’ve got yet another question:

I’ve made a database with a couple of tables as example, CustomerTbl, AdressesTbl where the relations are set that a Customer can have multipe Adresses.

In my layouts i’ve used a portal for the adresses. This works great in layout modes!

Now i’m making a report with a couple of fields of the CustomerTbl and the AdressTbl but i only get the first Adress in the portalrow in my report. Is is possible to make them come up in my Report ?

Again much oblidged

Bart Prins

• 1. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
          keywords

Try building your report in the addresses table instead of the contacts table.

• 2. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
            bartprins

Hi Keywords,

Thanks for the quick reply, i just tried it but then i get multiple records for instance one customer has two adresses, then i get two records.

Ps i made the Report using a blank layout cause it has a whole lot of fields from other tables as well where it was less effort to inserts the fields rather then to change all the positions. Maybe that's wrong ?

But to make it more clear:

Would it be possible to make a report that says:

Customer: Bart Prins                                            

Adress 1:      Park avenue 1, 3211 AS New York

Adress 2:      Highway 15, 4586 AW Boston

Etc etc...

Much like a portal actually where the fields adress will be filled when there are multipe adresses.

Again much oblidged

• 3. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
              keywords

That layout looks a bit like an address card. If you want that you may have to create the layout in Contacts table and use a portal large enough to accommodate the most addresses required (3, 6, or whatever lines) and with the portal set to slide so that it is only as large as it needs to be for each record. That should work I think (it's a while since I did one).

• 4. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                bartprins

Hi Keywords,

No that's not what i mean sorry, adresstbl is just an example could have been products to for example. So nog adress Card layout.

I saw that i can add portals to a report layout that works great, but i want to add the fields without a portal layout for readabillty is this somehow possible?

• 5. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                  keywords

If you make the portal "invisible" (ie. no fill, no borders, no scroll bars, etc) it won't even look like a portal is there. If you want a layout to show more than on related record then a portal is your answer—that is precisely what a portal is for. Just remember that they are not really designed for printing, just display, so they will only display what can fit on the portal, not anything hidden—that is, if there are, say, 5 related records but the portal is only large enough to display 3 rows, then you will only get the 3 rows on any printed report.

• 6. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                    bartprins

Hi Keywords,

Sorry i think i'm not clear enough, i know how the portal works but is has to many limitations for me in the report layout so i want the fields from that in a vertical order in my rapport.

So the rapport would look like this for each record in that layout

Customer: Bart Prins

Adres 1:

Street

Zipcode

City

Adres 2:

Street

Zipcode

City

etc...etc..

• 7. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                      keywords

Perhaps, then, you should try and build a claculation field that lists the details from the related table. Something like:

GetNthRecord ( addressesTable::street ; 1 )  & "¶" &  GetNthRecord ( addressesTable::zipcode ; 1 )  & "¶" &  GetNthRecord ( addressesTable::city ; 1 )  & "¶" & 

GetNthRecord ( addressesTable::street ; 2 )  & "¶" &  GetNthRecord ( addressesTable::zipcode ; 2 )  & "¶" &  GetNthRecord ( addressesTable::city ; 2 )  & "¶" & 

… will give you the street, zipcode and city from related record 1, followed by the same from record 2. If you play around a bit you'll be able to cover all your related records.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                        erolst

A simpler (or at least less verbose) solution would be to create a calculation field in the Addresses table with the pertinent fields and List() that related field.

i.e., in Addresses, create cAddressLine = List ( Addresses::street ; Addresses::zipcode ; Addresses::city ), and in Customers, create cAddressList = List ( Adresses::cAddressLine )

• 9. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                          keywords

Yes, that make's sense. Good one!

• 10. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                            bartprins

Thanks for your replies, i will try this a let you know !

Thanks !!

Bart

• 11. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                              cwiltgen86

Maybe I'm completely missing something but what about trying a List view in the Addresses TBL with a Subsumary by Customer set about the body?  This way you would get every adress and only see the Cutsomer Info once.  You could put another Sub-Summarry below the body and page break after each one if you wanted to have a different page or card for each customer.

• 12. Re: Question about Report in Filemaker 12
                                bartprins

Hi Erols and Keywords, this works very well thanks !!! I used Erolst way cause is somewhat shorter hahah.

@CWiltgen86 thanks for your reply, perhaps that would have worked too will trie it also.