5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 3:21 AM by davehob

A lookup or portal database question

bobrace

I am farily new to Filemaker Pro 12 and I have a table (SSN_Table ) of names and social security numbers.  I would like to create another table (Acct_Info) to hold account information, but in this table, I would like the user to be able to type  in a social a list of social security numbers that correspond to the account numbers and have it look up in the SSN_Table table and pull the corresponding name in for that social. And...  If the social or name does not exist, it should be created in the SSN_Table.

So basically.. the user should be able open the Acct_Info table, type in an account number or numbers, put in an amount for the transaction, tab to a list were they can type in a social, have it bring up or pullover from the SNN_Table,  the person's name (if it exists), or add it to the SSN_Table table if the customer doesn't exist and become part of the Acct_info record. 

I tried this by placing a portal in the Acct_Info table using the 3 fields from SSN_Table, but it doesn't work.

Also, all SSN need to be unique.

I have attached the fmp12 file I setup.

I have been banging my head on this one for days and any help would be well appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Bob