2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 8:37 AM by flybynight

Setting field with a variable

samjs

I have created a student database, and I want to copy a student's record to and alumni table after they graduate before deleting them from the student table.

With no luck, I've created variables in a script for each field and then I go to the alumni table, create a new record and set field using the variable. I can't get it to work...what am I doing wrong? I have tried both "$" and "$$" on the variables.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Setting field with a variable
          erolst

samjs wrote:

[ … ] I can't get it to work...what am I doing wrong?

How do you expect an answer to that question without showing your script? But …

samjs wrote:

[ … ] I've created variables in a script for each field [ … ]

… have you considered simply importing the student record into the alumni table?

• 2. Re: Setting field with a variable
            flybynight

Another question I would ask is have you considered having one "people" table, with some sort of status field that would indicate if they are a student or alumni (or other possibilities)?

But as for troubleshooting your issue, without seeing your script, it's hard to say.

Do you have FileMaker Advanced? Using the Script Debugger and Data Viewer to step through your script can often find your flaws pretty quickly.

Laters,

-Shawn