6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 10:21 AM by tguise

Fields that have Red dashes / dots around them & Unable to enter them?

tguise

"Thanks to Everyone" who can shed some light on this issue in Advance!

I have searched hi and low and have been unable to see any references to this situation where on a layout in Browse mode, 2 Fields have Red Dashes/Dots around them. Furthermore I am unable to get into one of the fields to enter data. The first one works, the second one does not, the cursor just skips over it.

These two fields are on a different table from the main one linked to the Layout, but the 2nd table has a contextual relationship to the first one on the table graphics screen.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Tom

A screen capture is attached for your review.

• 1. Re: Fields that have Red dashes / dots around them & Unable to enter them?
          pmconaway

Tom, how are the two tables related? Also are the red fields based on a calculation? Check the inspector and make sure you have enabled entry into the field in browse mode.

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fields that have Red dashes / dots around them & Unable to enter them?
            erolst

Probably the relationship is not valid, or it cannot be created, which means that while you can see the field as a layout object, there isn't actually a record “behind” it in which you could enter data, and that's why you cannot enter it. The relationship could e.g.  be based on a key you haven't yet entered in the parent record, so the child record can't inherit it as a foreign key.

Invalid related fields as described above normally have a somewhat dimmed border appearance, though I'm not sure where the red dots come from.

tguise wrote:

but the 2nd table has a contextual relationship to the first one on the table graphics screen.

That would be the Relationship Graph? It would be helpful to see your relationships.

• 3. Re: Fields that have Red dashes / dots around them & Unable to enter them?
              tguise

Thanks for responding pmconaway!

Q2) The fields are not based on Calculations.

Q3) Checked the Inspector and they are enabled for data entry in browse mode.

Q1) Rechecked the Table Relationship Settings, and I added a check mark to allow creation of a record for this table (Test_Corp) which has 3 fields.

Q1a) Table::Fields are;

Test_Corp::Test_CompID              (Auto-Serial)          

Test_Corp::Test_Comp_Type       (Text)

Test_Corp::Test_Comp_Name     (Text)

The Relationship link from Test_Corp is from Test_Corp::Test_CompID ---> Contacts::ContactsID (Table::Field) Primary Key(s).

Thanks again for taking a look at it!

-Tom

• 4. Re: Fields that have Red dashes / dots around them & Unable to enter them?
                tguise

Thanks for responding erlost!

Attached is a .jpg of the Relationships (screen shot)

Thanks Again!

-Tom

• 5. Re: Fields that have Red dashes / dots around them & Unable to enter them?
                  erolst

If you're working on the Contacts layout, you cannot enter company data if there is no join table record to link those two “parents”. Normally you'd already have a company to assign the contact to, by way of creating that join table record**; and then it may not be advisable to edit the company data from the Contacts context, but rather in its own table, since these are the “real data”.

** And this is where you “picker layout” could come into play …

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Fields that have Red dashes / dots around them & Unable to enter them?
                    tguise

Hi all;

I just did a quick search through the ebook "FileMaker Pro 12: Missing Manual" and found this entry;

"If you don’t have Auto-creation turned on for the relationship, then you can’t click into the Picture field. FileMaker shows the dotted field outline as if the field is there and active, but it doesn’t let you in."

Bibliography:

Prosser, Susan; Gripman, Stuart (2012-07-20). FileMaker Pro 12: The Missing Manual (p. 205). O'Reilly Media. Kindle Edition.

As I indicated in a previous post, I had gone back to the Relationship screen and turned on the Auto-Creation statement for the Test_Corp file.

-Tom

This is the only reference I have been able to find regarding fields that are encapsulated with Red dashes / dots.