10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 10:48 AM by smower

Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13

smower

Hello,

I have been using the free Abstrakt shell plugin with my FileMaker solutions for probably six or seven years. I probably have over a hundred scripts so that use it and its functions and likely hundreds of script steps that use it's functions. My understanding is that FileMaker server 13 will not work with it because it is 64 bit. I use this as a server plug-in as well. I am trying to find the path of least resistance for upgrading. Is there anyway to update this plug-in or its functions to 64-bit without having the original source code or access to the original author? I am hoping to avoid buying a new plug-in with different functions that require me to re-write every single script.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

• 1. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
          mikebeargie

The path of least resistence would be to remain on Filemaker Server 12 in production, until you upgrade your solution to be FMS13 compatible on a test server, by rewriting your scripts to use a different method and/or plugin.

Abstrakt is long gone (although the new beer from brewdog on the website looks rather tasty), and I don't think you'll ever be able to find a 64-bit capable solution with it. If you were able to somehow access the source code (decompiled or otherwise) or the original author, than the path of least resistence would be to pay him to recompile it for you, but in all reality, that code's also ten years old, and who knows what it would take to make it compatible, as 64-bit computing wasn't prevalent yet.

It's going to be a few years until FMS12 reaches it's end-of-life, so you have time to rewrite it, and plan for longevity.

This, unfortunately, is a side effect of counting on free ~10 year old plugins that were never designed for support past FMS8. (And serves as a good warning for all of us to look at what we've got out there!)

You might be able to recycle a lot of your code into either scriptmaster, monkeybread or smartpill, depending on how you were using abstrakt. It could at least save you some time.

http://360works.com/scriptmaster/

http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/filemaker/

http://www.scodigo.com/products/smartpill-php

• 2. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
            BowdenData

Also look at the BaseElements plugin. It is free and has a command line function. Troi file is a

very good plugin with this functionality as well.

Doug

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
              smower

Thank you Mike and Doug,

I am actually on FM 11 because I have been waiting for FM to do httppost so I could replace my plugins, however, it appears the httppost doesn't allow header setting so it puts me in a bind if I upgrade.

I have now looked at some of those plugins you mentioned again.  Some I checked out in the past but most plugins I have tried seem to cause FileMaker to crash and then FileMaker technical support won't help me. The Abstrakt plugin seemed to work pretty reliably until the newer versions.  I actually only use only one function from the Abstrakt plug which is this:

External ( "shell-Execute"; parameter )

In the parameter I just put the dos commands.  This basically is like running the send event script step, except it waits for the item to complete and returns the result back to FileMaker.  If someone had a plugin with the same parameters and names could I just remove the Abstrakt plugin and replace the new one and would the calculations just run the code with the new plugin?

When I was reading about the 360works scriptmaster plugin, it seemed to say something about creating your own plugins and I thought the video suggested your own functions. Does that mean one of their shell commands could be renamed to match the function I am using with abstrakt and become almost a plug and play replacement?

Thanks,

Shawn

• 4. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
                monkeybreadsoftware

Well, a lot of plugins do the job, including our MBS Plugin, I think.

But you may want to look into writing custom functions which take same parameters and abstract the plugin calls from your scripts.

If you do it right, you can simply replace the current plugin with the custom function which calls whatever plugin you use than.

• 5. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
                  smower

Thank you Christian,

That is a cool idea to do the custom function to replace.  I tried to do it but it keeps saying the name is already taken or I can't use quotes or hypens.

The shell plugin command is:

So I am trying to create a custom function but it is giving me all kinds of validation errors like below.  It first doesn't like me using the word "External" I guess that is an FM native function for calling old plugins? Also, it doesn't let me put the quotes or the hyphen in the "shell-Execute" parameter.  Am I doing something wrong?

shell.png

Do you know what I need to change to get this to work?

Thanks,

Shawn

• 6. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
                    monkeybreadsoftware

Of course you need to remove the plugin in order to define a function with same name.

• 7. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
                      smower

Well this is on FileMaker 13 and I did not install that Abstakt shell plugin on FileMaker 13 but just installed the new test plugin. I converted an old FileMaker 11 database which used the Abstakt plugin to a FileMaker 13 database without the Abstrakt plugin.

• 8. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
                        smower

So is this not possible to replace an older plugin with a custom function because of the illegal characters like quotes and hyphens?  If not, does anyone know a way to mass find and replace code in script steps without going through every single script step one by one and opening them up and changing them and saving them?

• 9. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
                          BruceRobertson

Why are you using the illegal characters in the first place? You don't need them. Your whole setup for the custom function is wrong.

• 10. Re: Update Abstrakt Shell Plugin to 64 Bit for FileMaker 13
                            smower

I did not write or create the Abstrakt shell plugin - I just use it. So I don't have control over their functions and characters they use.

The function it offers when you select it from the FileMaker "Edit Expression" Window is this:

A simple example of how it works with data would be:

External ( "shell-Execute"; "C:\Curl\curl.exe " & "www.google.com")

So I have hundreds of script steps using this function with usually more complex commands like posting data or moving files around or deleting or renaming files etc.

So the custom function doesn't like the word External and it doesn't like the quotes around shell-Execute and it doesn't like the hyphen in shell-Execute so I don't know how to get it to allow me to write a custom function to replace the expression with a more modern plugin.

I didn't really want to spend 45 hours rewriting every singe script step that uses this plugin...