AnsweredAssumed Answered

FM12 Export to PDF, create email on Windows locks user in email window

Question asked by flybynight on Dec 31, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 31, 2013 by mikebeargie

OK, so I have a little modal window for my users to attach a PO to a job ticket. They enter the vendor from a drop-down, date needed, add some notes etc. Then they can Print, save a PDF to their desktop, email a PDF or close that window to get back to their job ticket.

Of course, everything works perfectly for my Mac users. For my Windows users, there is a problem: if they email the PDF, it puts them in a window in Outlook with the email with the PDF attached, and FileMaker Pro is in the background. However, they can't do anything besides that email. Quite often, they will want to navigate to a different email to grab additional attachments (a mailing list for example), so also attach with the PO. But they can't get to their inbox, or any other Outlook window until they have closed or sent that email with the PO PDF. They also can't get to their desktop to grab a file from Windows Explorer. Many of my PC users have relatively small monitors, so many of them run FMP maximized.

As a work-around, they can save the PDF to the desktop and attach that, of course.

Is this expected behavior?

On the Mac, the create email PDF attachment works just fine and the user isn't locked into that 1 email window. It seems that on the Mac, it creates the email and then continues the script in the background, which retruns the user to the PO edit layout (as opposed to the PO Print layout to make the PDF). On windows, I can see that the script does not finish until the user either closes or sends the email.

Is this because I'm starting from a Modal Window? Or does the create email attachment option on Windows just naturally leave the user stuck in the email window?

I think my script for this is pretty simple:

Screen shot 2013-12-31 at 10.54.52 AM.png

Thanks for any insight or better work-arounds!

-Shawn

Outcomes