3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 6:33 AM by slayden@msn.com

Error creating user -  fmServer 13 re-install won't complete

slayden@msn.com

I am trying repeatedly to reinstall FM13 Server as advised by Filemaker Tech support (now gone for the holidays, of course) and after running quite a while, getting the error message "Error Creating User."

Any suggestions on being able to get it to install?

• 1. Re: Error creating user -  fmServer 13 re-install won't complete
          tjsoftworks

Hi Slayden,

Please provide a bunch of details: Operating System, Hardware and/or virtualization parameters. Where did you get the "Error Creating User". Are you using a AD/OD Server. Is your server bound to an infrastructure. What does the Install log say.....  I can't guarentee answers but I think you will get further if you even outline the parameters for all of us.

I'd probably advise, an Uninstall with a restart and a new install but now I'm guessing based on limited information.

Terry J Fundak

Infrastructure Automation Engineer

terry@tjsoftworks.com

• 2. Re: Error creating user -  fmServer 13 re-install won't complete
            wimdecorte

What OS?

I'm guessing some flavor of OSX?

Try a full disk repair and permissions repair and then a reboot.

• 3. Re: Error creating user -  fmServer 13 re-install won't complete
              slayden@msn.com

The winning answer was to go to the Unix shell and remove the default username from FMpro.  This allowed reinstall without a problem.

reposting the winning solution - btw, filemaker needs to put this IN THEIR DOCUMENTATION!!!

FM 12 Server install failure [error creating user]

Forum post posted May 1, 2013 by Tom Grzelinski

240 Views, 2 Comments

Title:

FM 12 Server install failure [error creating user]

Your post:

Hi, we are trying to install FM 12 Server onto a brand new Mac Mini Server running OSX 10.8.3 Server. We have tried using the CD in the FM 12 Server box and also downloading the 12.0v4 installer but get the same problem:

The installer runs nearly all the way through and then you get an error message "error creating user", click OK, then Continue and the installations starts again, then the error message appears again... repeat ad infinitum.

Background: We have been running FM 11 Server on an old Mac Mini Server running OSX 10.6.8 Server. Today the new machine arrived and we migrated the old Mini Server to the new Mini Server using Migration Assistant. Everything seemed OK, we then tried to install/upgrade the FM Server installation from 11 to 12 and got the above error straight away. All the users seem to be OK in the Server Preferences app. So we downloaded the FM 11 Server installer and ran it to un-install FM 11 Server, we then tried installing FM 12 Server as a clean install but got the same error. We then downloaded the FM 12.0v4 Server installer but the same error occurs too.

Help! How do we solve this problem?

Many thanks,

Tom