3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 1:55 PM by petery009

Connect to Server using Terminal Service

petery009

Happy new year , Everyone!!

We have a filemaker server host on a virtual machine somewhere, and we use the filemaker pro to connect to the server. the problem is the speed is not that great!

(internet is not good from client side and also because the filemaker is a fat client)

So, we tried to use the terminal service from the virtual machine(win2008 server), and we found out the speed is good.

Then, we found out something is not working.

example, the email client is not working , so i did a little research that seems like i can use a plug in to make it work,

another example, what if a user trying to open an Word , Excel , file from the server, do i need to install office on the server and need volume license for the office as well ? or there's other way to do this! (currently , when user try to open a document the script to save it in temp folder and open it automatically )

so things like that, i wonder if anyone has the experience with all of these can share some ideas of how to deal with them!!

Any suggestions is welcome!!

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Connect to Server using Terminal Service
          BruceHerbach

Hi,

When using terminal services,  you will need to set up an account for each user on the server and then configure the e-mail program.  Once that is done,  FileMaker should be able to send e-mail using the client.  It should be noted,  that on Windows,  FileMaker uses Outlook as the client.  Other e-mail programs will give you an error that says a file is missing.

You will have to look into licensing for MS Office.  I think you need enough licenses to cover the number of simultaneous connections.  I believe that the same is true for FileMaker Pro.

HTH

Bruce

• 2. Re: Connect to Server using Terminal Service
            wimdecorte

petery009 wrote:

So, we tried to use the terminal service from the virtual machine(win2008 server), and we found out the speed is good.

Then, we found out something is not working.

Just to clarify: are you using Terminal Services on the same machine that is the FMS machine?

If so, that is a a really bad idea.

Other than that: yes: FM runs in the TS session and can only interact with other applications in that session (on the TS machine).

• 3. Re: Connect to Server using Terminal Service
              petery009

Thank you for all of your input!

specific question: since the terminal service is transfering the image from the server to the client side(if i understand correct), and one issue is the playing video on the terminal server, the test we did that shows the video will delay quite a bit which is understandable.

is there a better way to play a video by using terminal service ?

Thanks!!