9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 10:50 AM by schamblee

FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar

mark_b

Happy New Year,

I can get Filemaker to consistently crash (Windows-7) when trying to remove icons in the status toolbar. I do not want the Add and Delete buttons up there. I'd rather handle that in scripts. I have done this with all my FMP-12 applications, with no problems. Below are screenshots showing what is going on by Right-clicking on the icon:

Toolbar1.png Toolbar3.png Toolbar4.png

Toolbar5.png

The first icon deletes fine. It is when I try to delete a 2nd icon or add a new icon that it crashes. I assume this is not happeing on the Mac platform. Is there another way to add/remove toolbar icons in FMP13?

Regards,

Mark

• 1. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
          SteveMartino

This happens to me in the exact same way in 12, Windows 7.  Only with one database.  Not with any starter solution, or any sample files anyone posts.  I checked all backups of the one file and it crashes every time.  I even uninstalled/reinstaled, no luck.  Recovery, no luck.  And all the other solutions anyone offered when I posted and requested help from filemaker.

What's odd is it doesn't crash when changing icons in browse mode, only layout.  Hopefully someone will offer a suggestion.

• 2. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
            mark_b

Thanks Steve,

I'm glad to know that at least there is one other person using Windows here.  Your're right.  I tried to duplicate the problem with a starter solution and several other files and they all worked fine.  It was only with this one file I downloaded from Filemaker Magazine.  I'm not going to mess with that file, so I guess time will tell to see if this happens again.

Cheers, Mark

• 3. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
              Stephen Huston

If you use Custom Menus to reassign your  scripted actions to the standard menu items, the icons in the status bar will trigger those scripts, then it won't matter that you still have the buttons up there.

• 4. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
                brodlang

Hi Mark,

April 2016 and I still have this problem 2 years after this  post.  Hopefully FM will address this.

• 5. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
                  schamblee

If it was a FM issue then it will happen in every database.    I bet there is something corrupt in the database, which can be very difficult to track down.    Always wise to run recover on the file.  Recover does not always find / fix corruption.  I would guess an object on the layout is corrupt, to test try on different layouts.  Does the crash happen on different layouts or only on one layout?  If multiple layouts, was anything copied from another layout?  You can copy corrupt objects.   Create a new blank layout with no object.  Does it crash on this empty layout?   The only way to fix a corrupt object is to delete and recreate the object.  Note you may have more than one object corrupt on your layout.

• 6. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
                    brodlang

Thanks for the info.  I tried a new empty layout and same problem.  BUT then I changed the Theme from "Cool Gray" to Basic and it works!  I went back to my original layout and changed that theme and from "Cool Gray" to Cool Brown and again it works.  So for me, it looks like it's theme related.  I have many layouts in Cool Gray and they all have the same problem.  I'll start to change them over to another theme and let you know if I find any other issues.

• 7. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
                      schamblee

Was the database converted from fp7 database?  Trying to determine where the corruption may have came from.   I know there were some issue with some conversions.  

• 8. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
                        brodlang

No,  I started with FMP11,  About a year ago I updated the look of my layouts with various themes and eventually settled on Cool Gray for all of them.  I only noticed the toolbar issue about a month ago, so I can't be sure exactly when it started and what the cause may be.

• 9. Re: FMPA-13 Crash while changing status toolbar
                          schamblee

fp7 is the format used in fmp11.  fp7 was used from fmp7 to fmp11.  fmp12 is the format used in fmp12 to the current version of fmp14.  The file you are using in fmp13 was it converted from fmp11?