4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2014 12:07 PM by Oliver_Reid

Cores and effect on Virtualized FMS Perfomance

Oliver_Reid

I am trying to educate myself on virtualization basics (WMWare , Parellels Virtuozzo, etc.).

With 2 4-core/8GB machines seeming be a typical mid-level FMS13 + WP hosting environment I have a concern.

How will virtualization environments perform handling several VMs this size? My reading suggests that a typical industry VM is much less powerful. (Or I am I just misinformed here?)

How do these tools perform with several VM's (e.g., a c16 Core 32GB box with multiple 4-core 8-GB VM's) that each have much more virtual power in relation the machine's physical total? Are their advertized efficiency advantages still delivered in this situation

I would be inetrested to hear about folks' expereince here.

• 1. Re: Cores and effect on Virtualized FMS Perfomance
          wimdecorte

Oliver_Reid wrote:

My reading suggests that a typical industry VM is much less powerful.

A VM instance is as powerful as you make it.  It is true that when you don't specify ahead of time what you need, a typical IT department will dimension a VM instance with resources that are too low for FMS:

- not enough disk space

- not enough processing power

As to combining multiple virutal instances on one physical host: that comes down to monitoring to a large extent.  Setting up a VM environment is not a "fire and forget" solution.  The physical host becomes a very real potential single point of failure.  To counter that:

- it must be very very robust with all sorts of redundancy

- and spare capacitiy

- and must be monitored 24/7 for singes of trouble

- but also to see trends in usage across its VMs so that you'll know you will hit resource constraints before you actually do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cores and effect on Virtualized FMS Perfomance
            Oliver_Reid

Thanks Wim that is helpful

In the case of FMS 13  is  there any performace impact from using, say, an 8-core processor vs two 4 core processers ?

In a virtualized enviroment I do not see why, say, 4 Physical 8-Core E5s should perform better than 8 Quads - a much less expensive option?

• 3. Re: Cores and effect on Virtualized FMS Perfomance
              wimdecorte

Oliver_Reid wrote:

In the case of FMS 13  is  there any performace impact from using, say, an 8-core processor vs two 4 core processers ?

To a large extent that depends on the # of concurrent users and the design/nature of the solution.  FMS will spread the load (more users and or ore tasks generated by the users) across the processors so 8 cores is going to be much better than 4 in a busy environment.  There won't be much difference in a low usage (users and/or tasks) scenario.

• 4. Re: Cores and effect on Virtualized FMS Perfomance
                Oliver_Reid

Actually I was asking about TWO quads vs ONE 8-core

Sorry if that was not clear