5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 12:48 PM by Stephen Huston

Can FMPro 13 See and work with FM Server 12

cowens1

Hi,

The subject line is my question. I'm in need of a couple more clients... FM Pro 12 seems to be no longer available. Can 13 work?

• 1. Re: Can FMPro 13 See and work with FM Server 12
          steveromig

cowens1 wrote:

Hi,

The subject line is my question.  I'm in need of a couple more clients... FM Pro 12 seems to be no longer available.  Can 13 work?

Yes - a FileMaker Pro 13 client can access files shared with FileMaker Server 12.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can FMPro 13 See and work with FM Server 12
            Stephen Huston

Caveat: Modifications to scripts, layouts, and other file structural elements done using Pro13 can affect the ability of the file to perform as expected when opened with Pro 12 clients, so you should avoid using Pro 13 to do any development work on a file which is still being used with 12 clients, regardless of the server version being used to host.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can FMPro 13 See and work with FM Server 12
              cowens1

Thank You for that Caveat.

As it is, I do ALL modifications using 12 advanced; my users do none.  Therefore, while I am happy to know the full story of the relationship caveat, I am believing that I can set up a couple more users, using 13, with no anticipated problems.

• 4. Re: Can FMPro 13 See and work with FM Server 12
                RafaelCaballe

Hi,

As a developer, my intention is to develop with FMPro13Adv from now on. I understand that to use the full functionality of 13, the clients must be all using FMPro13. This is logical...However, since most of my customers do have FMServer12 and do not need, at this present time, the new features of FMServer13, they will stay with FMServer12. What I need to be sure is that all features of FMPro13 can be used without limitations regardless the FMServer version used as host (12 o 13)...

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Can FMPro 13 See and work with FM Server 12
                  Stephen Huston

All of the client-side functionality of 13 should work, stuff that involves the rendering of the interface in 13 and client-only-based operations. The basic functionality of 13 is client-based, with the data being sent back and forth as the main server operation.

However, there are some Server 13 benefits which  won't function with Server 12, such as enabling the client to off-load long scripts to run on the server rather than tying up the client machine during time-consuming scripted processes.

(If there are any server-calls in your scripts, consider making a copy of your 13-edited files, opening those copies with FMP12 client and checking the compatibility settings of scripts  you edit in 13 against the server compatibility list in 12. Not a guarantee, but seems worth the effort when mixing versions.)