4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 10:58 AM by craig319

Relationships between to different FILES, not tables in the same file

craig319

Hello All,

Sorry for this elementery first post. Can anyone help me by first letting me know if there 1. is a way to create relationships between 2 files? 2. how can I do this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Relationships between to different FILES, not tables in the same file
          beverly

1. A file (database) can have many tables.

2. The relationship graph can show:

a. Tables (& table alias' -all called table occurrences) from the SAME database (file)

b. Tables (TOs) from other FM files/databases it can see thru a network. These are sources.

c.  ODBC sources for approved SQL dbs. This is also called ESS (external SQL sources) with proper DNS (data named source) using the correct ODBC drivers. User permissions apply, of course!

3. You can SEE any table as on the relationship graph. You can interact with the data as if it resided in the same file as the graph (layouts, value lists, scripts, etcetera.) You can only DEFINE (modify) the fields at the source db.

Some developers use a "separation model" where the data is in separate dbs/tables from the interface file. As long as a connection allows a table source to be added to the graph, it seems almost as if it's the same file! Note the caveats above.

HTH

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Relationships between to different FILES, not tables in the same file
            cortical

files: A, B

to create a REL from A to B, the B file needs to be added as an 'external data source'

This can be done from file > Manage > External data sources

the path to the file is defined here

Once the file reference to B is added in A, that file (B) and the table(s) defined in it, are available to add as table occurances in the relationship graph (RG) of A

An EDS can also be created from the RG ... add TOC, specify table, Data Source > add filemaker data source

Once the (EDS) link between files is created, relationships can be then created between tables (TOC) in those files

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Relationships between to different FILES, not tables in the same file
              craig319

Thank you Beverly.  Got me started off in the right direction.

• 4. Re: Relationships between to different FILES, not tables in the same file
                craig319

Good stuff Cortical.  Thank you much.