4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 3:35 PM by wimdecorte

FMPro13 clients & FMServer12 server

RafaelCaballe

Hi,

My intention is to develop with FMPro13Adv from now on. I understand that to use the full functionality of 13, the clients must be all using FMPro13. This is logical...However, since most of my customers do have FMServer12 and do not need, at this present time, the new features of FMServer13, they will stay with FMServer12.

What I need to be sure is that all features of FMPro13 can be used without limitations regardless the FMServer version used as host (12 o 13)... Could anybody confirm it?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: FMPro13 clients & FMServer12 server
          wimdecorte

RafaelCaballe wrote:

What I need to be sure is that all features of FMPro13 can be used without limitations regardless the FMServer version used as host (12 o 13)... Could anybody confirm it?

No.  Certain FM13 features can not be done by FMS12.  Keep in mind that FMS tries to evaluate some function calls server-side to avoid sending large amounts of data to the client.  If you are using FMS13 specific features then FMS12 will not know what to do with it.

Also keep in mind that some FM13 layout styles will not translate well to your FM12 users.  Keep an eye on that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMPro13 clients & FMServer12 server
            keywords

In addition to Wim's cautions you should also track back to the following recent discussion: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/134436#134436

Some timely warnings there.

• 3. Re: FMPro13 clients & FMServer12 server
              RafaelCaballe

Thanks for you quick comment Wim. Is there any list of FMP13 features which are not compatible w/ FMS12?

Some of my customers (I am a developer) bought FMS 12 during 2013 but before November. So they can not upgrade to FMS 13...and I do not want to tell them to invest again in FMS. Most of them are small business for whom the investment done was significant. However, they probably will accept to upgrade their FMP12,s to FMP13,s, since it is not a new license but and upgrade. This is costly, for sure, but easier to admit than the FMS issue. So having said that, my intention is to develop new solutions with FMP13, deploy them with existing FMS12. All users will be all using FMP13.

I am not very happy with the decision of FileMaker to not allow upgrading of FMS12.

• 4. Re: FMPro13 clients & FMServer12 server
                wimdecorte

I don't think there is a defnitive list.

It would probably be much better to avoid developing in 13 for that client and give time to get the budget for an upgrade to 13 across the board.

I think we'll all be in that boat for a while where we develop in 12 for some clients and in 13 for others.

The risk is too great no to keep it separate.