7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 2:00 PM by msawyer

iPad Barcode Scanners

msawyer

Hi

There have been some mentions of Bluetooth scanners on the forum. Just wondering if anybody has been using any of the products from http://ipcprint.com/.

I like the idea of them because there attached devices and don't rely on a Bluetooth connection.

Would be interested to know if they have been tested on FM 13, previously a piece of middleware would have to have been used. If these can scan directly like a keyboards wedge they would make for a pretty powerful combination.

Any feedback appreciated.

• 1. Re: iPad Barcode Scanners
          mikebeargie

With the advent of native barcode scanning in Filemaker Go 13, why would you need an external device anymore? Just use the camera on the iPad.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/whats-new.html

Barcode scanning

• Add bar code scanning to your FileMaker solutions running on iPad and iPhone – without requiring additional plug-ins.
          • Scan bar codes to instantly see associated data appear in the appropriate fields as specified in FileMaker Pro.
          • Supports a variety of bar code types, including UPC codes and QR codes.
          • 2. Re: iPad Barcode Scanners

Hi Matt,

I think the specs look promising but maybe there's 'devil in the detail'.

From my reading of the specs it is not clear whether the scanner disables the onscreen keyboard. That has always been the achillies heel for all the Bluetooth barcode scanners that I've seen.

I think it's great that they are using the Lightning connector for the interface.

Cheers,

John

• 3. Re: iPad Barcode Scanners
              msawyer

Hi Mike

The camera is slow and a little clunky to use, especially if you have a volume requirement.

Regards

Matt

Matt Sawyer

Information for Business

Tel: +61418 160059 Phone: 61 2 9328 2492

• 4. Re: iPad Barcode Scanners
                msawyer

Hi John

Thanks.

Will let you know if I get any further detail.

Regards

Matt

Matt Sawyer

Information for Business

• 5. Re: iPad Barcode Scanners
                  LSNOVER

That CAN be programmed around.  I have a blue tooth page turning app, and it allows the on screen keyboard to function as an option.  I guess that would have to be implemented by Filemaker somehow though.

• 6. Re: iPad Barcode Scanners
                    ch0c0halic

Bluetooth devices, such as Bar Code Scanners, just need to be set up as a Keyboard in the Bluetooth definition. No setup in FMP is required. A field must be already selected because it is entering the value just as if you were typing the Bar Code on the Keyboard.

IIRC, the "End of Entry" is usually a Return (but could be a TAB) so set the field to exit on the Return/tab keys. I suggest setting the script trigger on ‘next’ field using “On Field Enter” to do whatever post processing is needed and create a new record for the next bar code.

• 7. Re: iPad Barcode Scanners
                      msawyer

Thanks.

I guess where I was heading with this is I would prefer a hard wired device that didn't require some middleware rather than a bluetooth one.

Bluetooth may be the only option though at this stage.

Matt Sawyer

Information for Business