3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 2:46 AM by colinmatthews

Pop-up Menu Not Selecting

colinmatthews

Hi,

I have created a pop-up menu on my "Orders (FK)" layout which is related to the Product name in my "Products (PK)" layout - __PKProductsID ---< _PKOrdersID

I have specified the correct information and when I press on the field in question's down arrow the list of products from the related field's index appear fine.

The problem is that I cannot select any of the products listed, instead the field just remains blank. Please see below:

Pop-up menu.png

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Colin

• 1. Re: Pop-up Menu Not Selecting
          erolst

You don't tell the name of the ‘field in question’ formatted as popup, but I assume your problem lies here:

__PKProductsID ---< _PKOrdersID is not correct: it should read (table names added for clarity) Products::_pk_productsID ---< Orders::_fk_productsID (so one Product can appear on many Orders, but each Order consists of exactly one Product … but is that really so? If an Order can comprise different products, you need a LineItems join table between Products and Orders to implement two one-to-many relationships as one many-to-many:

Products           --<     LineItems                            >--     Orders

_pk_productID   --<    _fk_productID, _fk_orderID    >--     _pk_orderID

• 2. Re: Pop-up Menu Not Selecting
            colinmatthews

Hi erolst,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Very sorry but this is an error in my question above - the relationship I have is in fact Products::_pk_productsID ---< Orders::_fk_productsID.

I only have a few products with each of them purchased from a different supplier so one product will have many orders but one order will not have many products.

The field that is formatted as pop-up is FKProductsID.

I am obviously missing something obvious but I just cannot seem to work out what and I've been looking at it for hours!

Colin

• 3. Re: Pop-up Menu Not Selecting
              erolst

colinmatthews wrote:

but one order will not have many products.

[…]

I am obviously missing something obvious but I just cannot seem to work out what and I've been looking at it for hours!

Colin

Two products on one order would be enough to cause you problems – the 'many’ in 'one-to-many’ doesn't mean 'lots’, but simply ‘more than one’ …

Anyway, why don't you just post your file? That way it's easier to locate the cause of the issue.