Crestline, CA, Jan 7, 2014 -- Dracoventions has released Beta 64-bit updates of all 2empowerFM plug-ins for use on FileMaker Server 13. That means our free SQL Runner, Script Scheduler, and Text Toolkit for regular expression and hash functions are all waiting for you to use with FileMaker's latest server technology.
Dracoventions is proud to be one of the first plug-in vendors to offer the 64-bit upgrade. Plug-in updates can be found at 2empowerFM.com for both Macintosh and Windows, or see the release notes to learn about other minor fixes in this release.
As you may have heard, FileMaker Server 13 requires all plug-ins to be 64 bit instead of 32 bit. If you try to load a 32-bit plug-in, it simply won't load, logging a cryptic error message to system.log on Mac that ends with the words "mach-o, but wrong architecture".
On Windows, FileMaker Server won't even list plug-ins unless their filename ends in ".fmx64" instead of ".fmx". On Mac, it's not easy to tell if a plug-in supports 64 bit, but it can be done by running a command in the Terminal app:
file <path to plug-in file>/Contents/MacOS/*
If you see "64-bit" anywhere in the output, the plug-in supports 64 bit.
Why FileMaker Server 13?
FileMaker has let you interact with databases using your web browser for years through Instant Web Publishing. The problem has always been that the database doesn't look or behave quite the same, forcing developers to do extensive testing and implement workarounds to give IWP users a decent experience.
FileMaker Server 13 introduces WebDirect, a completely new way of putting the database in a browser using modern HTML5 technology. WebDirect makes your database look and act almost like using it through a FileMaker Pro client, giving us all a new and easy way to access FileMaker databases on the go, even using a cheap Chromebook.
Even if you're not interested in WebDirect, FileMaker 13's "Perform Script on Server" script step lets you call server plug-ins without needing to install plug-ins on every FileMaker Pro client.
About 2empowerFM Plug-ins
Our family of 2empowerFM plug-ins save you time during FileMaker development and add powerful features to your FileMaker Pro solutions. Our plug-ins include:
2empowerFM Developer Assistant
- Quickly search all scripts to find ones containing a string or pattern.
- Find table names, function and script step names, field metadata, and more, without generating a DDR.
- Debug and develop faster by evaluating highlighted expressions immediately instead of copying, closing dialogs, and pasting into FileMaker's Data Viewer.
2empowerFM Hands-Free Printer
- Automate printing and control printer-specific settings.
- Save money by enforcing the use of double sided and toner saver modes.
- Prevent costly mistakes like printing all records instead of current record.
2empowerFM Menu Popper
- Pop-up multi-level menus anywhere on a FileMaker layout.
- Use unique dropdown menus to show type-ahead search results from multiple searches.
- Make menu items bold, italic, underlined, bulleted, or add separator lines between items.
2empowerFM Keyboard and Mouse
- Easily link hotkeys to scripts, create image-map buttons, and change the mouse cursor.
2empowerFM SQL Runner
- Insert and Update data in any FileMaker table without changing layouts or creating extra table relationships.
- Use an SQL query in a calculated field to generate dynamic pop-up lists.
- One of our FREE plug-ins!
2empowerFM Text Toolkit
- Perform powerful search and replace in database text using Perl-compatible regular-expressions.
- Generate a hash of data using many algorithms including SHA512, MD5, and TR1.
- Another FREE plug-in!
2empowerFM Clipboard Explorer
- Save and restore objects on the clipboard including stylized text, FileMaker scripts, and layout objects.
- Also totally FREE!
Pricing and Availability
64-bit updates are available immediately at 2empowerFM.com
These updates are free for all users.
Dracoventions is a FileMaker Business Alliance (FBA) member located in Crestline, CA, USA. Dracoventions is focused on inventing software that empowers you to save development time, expand FileMaker's abilities, and create a better user experience.
With over 25 years of software engineering experience, company-founder Chris Dragon was inspired by the business needs of a FileMaker-based non-profit to create the 2empowerFM Family of Plug-ins. These plug-ins include Developer Assistant, Hands-Free Printer, Menu Popper, SQL Runner, Text Toolkit, and more. Plug-ins are available at 2empowerFM.com