3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 12:42 PM by wimdecorte

FMP 13 Manage Security File Access tab

pmconaway

I'm a little confused. I noticed this Tab in FMP 13 and when I went back to FMP 12 it is there also. Here is what I'm trying to.

I'm trying to create a centralized Reference database. Some of the reference tables are Filemaker Pro files. Some of them are Oracle hosted databases. I'm trying to create a database that I can use as a standard location to grab reference data from. I'm planning on creating TO for the oracle tables. (I have a read only account access ) and then load my filemaker pro reference tables into the Master reference database. This data will be hosted on a Filemaker Pro server. I would like to then have any solutions that I create look to this Master reference database as a standard. Currently I link to external data sources as needed for my solutions. When I access a solution I need to enter the passwords for each of the external files. What I would like to be able to do is have the access stored in the file (solution file) instead of having to enter it. I was hoping the "Manage Security/File Access" would solve this issue. But apparently not. As a developer I don't have a problem entering the passwords but it prevents me from allowing other users to access the solution I created as it isn't appropriate for them to have access to the passwords connected to some of the reference tables.

This development is internal only.

Having said all that. What exactly is the purpose of the File Access tab? If I have file A and add File B to it's File access list does that mean The only FMP file that can access File A is File B? I often have TOs in multiple solutions connected to File A.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Paul

• 1. Re: FMP 13 Manage Security File Access tab
          wimdecorte

That feature is to restrict what FM files can be linked to the FM file you configure this in.  As a way to prevent unauthorized "linking / referencing" between FM files.

The feature that you are looking for is External Authentication.  This way you set up accounts in the OS of the server, or in an AD or OD if you have it.  In your FM files you just need to create "external" group accounts, not individual user accounts.  And the users can log in with just the one account as long as they belong to an OS/AD/OD group that is configured in each FM file.

• 2. Re: FMP 13 Manage Security File Access tab
            pmconaway

Thanks for the info. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear but it cleaned up my confusion about the issue. Not sure if AD/OD is a solution here. The network team isn't likely to add the groups that I would need have created. I think the best that I could hope for would be one AD/OD group that allows Filemaker Pro access.

• 3. Re: FMP 13 Manage Security File Access tab
              wimdecorte

Take note that you can also just use accounts and groups in the OS of the server if AD or OD is not an option.  Hard to imagine though that the network team would NOT cooperate.  Typically they would jump all over this since it allws them to control access and consolidate security.