5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 8:35 AM by theatermacker

Search "empty field" in related record doesn't work

theatermacker

I have a dictionary with terms that are related with global fields to each respective term in the respective language.There is a layout where several languages can be compared in 1 particular term. Sea attached screen shot. When I do a search for an empty field with "=" in one of the languages it does not work properly. Also when I do a search with omit "*@*" it doesn't work as expected. On the other side, when I do a search on a particular word in any of the languages, it works well as only the terms appears with that word included in the respective language.

What is happening here? Any idea?

Jerome

• 1. Re: Search "empty field" in related record doesn't work
          keywords

It may something to do with the language setting for the field/s. Try different settings (in Field Options > Storage) and see if that changes anything.

• 2. Re: Search "empty field" in related record doesn't work
            stefan_s

Hi "theatermacker",

theatermacker <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 12.1.2014 kello 4.12:

I have a dictionary with terms that are related with global fields to each respective term in the respective language.There is a layout where several languages can be compared in 1 particular term. Sea attached screen shot. When I do a search for an empty field with "=" in one of the languages it does not work properly. Also when I do a search with omit "@" it doesn't work as expected. On the other side, when I do a search on a particular word in any of the languages, it works well as only the terms appears with that word included in the respective language.

What is happening here? Any idea?

Yup. It does not work to search for empty related records that way.

Have you tried to do an Omit-search instead of a Find-search?

When going into Find mode, there are 2 buttons in the status area (Find/Omit).

Click the Omit button, then put an asterisk (*) in the related field.

No perform the find.

Does that give you the records you are looking for?

If not, then it might bo a good idea to perform the search on the "child" table, not the "parent" table you are now trying.

Hope this helps,

__

Stefan Schutt, Mouse Up, Finland

• 3. Re: Search "empty field" in related record doesn't work
              erolst

It's definitely possible to find parent records in which specific child records are empty (or fulfill some other condition), though, as Stefan stated, it might be easier to search in the child records and go to the parents of the found set.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what you mean by “related with global fields” (and that might be the cause of your issue); I would set up a dictionary like in the attached example.

In the Texts layout, select a language in the portal and enter ‘=’.

• 4. Re: Search "empty field" in related record doesn't work
                mrwatson-gbs

It is probably to do with the nature of (one of) the SOURCE field(s) in the relationship.

If there is a non-stored calcaulted field in a relationship - on THIS side of the relationship - you can BROWSE and SEE the related records correctly, HOWEVER you CANNOT PERFORM A FIND using the related fields.

Hope that helps

• 5. Re: Search "empty field" in related record doesn't work
                  theatermacker

Sorry for my very late reply. Thanks to a FileMaker Community mail my attention has been awaked on this problem. Although I had done already what you proposed (see my original mail), it didn't worked at that time. Probably I did something wrong, as now I repeated the same kind of search ("omit *" or "omit *@*") on my database, it worked perfect.

Thanks to all repliers anyway and best wishes for the New Year,

Jerome