3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 6:24 AM by erolst

Portal Help

colinmatthews

Hi,

I am having problems with portal setup and I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a layout for "Sourcing Products" which can contain multiple suppliers of the same product. I have added a button to that record which takes the user to a new window - "Profit Analysis" - to calculate profits for that particular supplier's product.

I would like a portal in the "Sourcing Products" layout which shows a summary of the results calculated in the "Profit Analysis" layout.

It seemed to be working ok until I had two products with the same name. I presume that I have to specify which of the Souring Products records relates to which of the Profit Analysis records for it to match and pull through to the correct record but I cannot figue out how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

Product Sourcing.pngProfit Analysis.png

• 1. Re: Portal Help
          erolst

colinmatthews wrote:

I have a layout for "Sourcing Products" which can contain multiple suppliers of the same product. I have added a button to that record which takes the user to a new window - "Profit Analysis" - to calculate profits for that particular supplier's product.

It seemed to be working ok until I had two products with the same name. I presume that I have to specify which of the Souring Products records relates to which of the Profit Analysis records for it to match and pull through to the correct record but I cannot figue out how to do this.

I don't really understand your data structure. But (one of) your problem(s) seems to be that you've based your relationships on names instead of unique (and meaningless) keys.

If you use keys, two products can have the same name but will be regarded as two distinct products.

Let me add that you probably should use a structure like

Products --> ProductSuppliers ( <-- Suppliers)

and, as recommended above, relate those tables/TOs via keys, not names.

I'm guessing that your current SourcingProducts table is not the Products table from the above structure, but actually plays the role of the ProductSuppliers table, where multiple SourcingProducts records with the same name are actually multiple records for same product with different suppliers.

• 2. Re: Portal Help
            colinmatthews

Thanks erolst.

The structure is:

ProductSourcing --> ProfitAnalysis

__PKProductSourcingID ------< _FKProductSourcingID

Apologies if this is an obvious question but how do I relate keys?

I have been using Filemaker for about a week so still very new to it. Learning fast though.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Portal Help
              erolst

colinmatthews wrote:

Apologies if this is an obvious question but how do I relate keys?

I should have said "use keys as matchfields to relate tables" (or more precise, table occurrences). How do you generate (or, what is) _PKProductSourcingID?

And what is ProfitAnalysis? If I'm not mistaken, a profit analysis is a process, not an entity, so it (probably) shouldn't have its own table, but be derived from existing data.

Maybe you can simply describe (without database terms) what those two tables are, especially ProfitAnalysis. Posting a sample file might help, too.