3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 4:22 PM by NickLightbody

The most efficient method of trapping <CR> or <enter> in Web Direct?

NickLightbody

I am trying to find the best method of giving users in WebDirect the experience they expect when they hit return - i.e. whatever is expected executes.

I haven't found a method yet that works as well and efficiently as I would expect - as a user - has anyone any helpful thoughts to share on this?

Cheers - Nick

• 1. Re: The most efficient method of trapping <CR> or <enter> in Web Direct?
          NickLightbody

Thanks - an obvious question - in a search field users expect the search to execute when they hit <cr> or <enter>.

From the observations I have made most users do not expect to have click a search button.

In WebDirect  <cr> or <enter> creates new lines in the search field - which in this case is a normal global text field serving as the input for a triple cycle portal filter i.e. it finds on up to any three search words in any order.

Ideally then one needs to trap for the code for  <cr> or <enter> (From memory 13 and 10) with a get on trigger keystroke only if the user is accessing under platform 4 - to operate a script step to merely move the focus out of the field and/or commit the entry in the field - however this presently doesn't work as I would expect under FM Web Direct - hence my question.

No doubt there is a simple method that I have missed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Nick

• 2. Re: The most efficient method of trapping <CR> or <enter> in Web Direct?
            DamonCasey

Hello Nick,

I don't have a WebDirect test system in place yet so cannot see if this works and you haven't described the search field so I don't know if it's Quick Find or you've rolled your own.

Are you able to set the field behaviour to go to next object using tab, return and enter in the Inspector and attach an OnObjectSave trigger to the search field to perform the find? I don't know if field behaviour is different in WD.

Best regards,

--

Damon Casey

Automating Data Ltd.

http://www.automatingdata.co.uk/

FileMaker Certified Developer for versions 8, 9, 10 and 11.

FileMaker Business Alliance and FileMaker TechNet Member.

• 3. Re: The most efficient method of trapping <CR> or <enter> in Web Direct?
              NickLightbody

Hi Damon

Sorry I hadn't seen your note earlier!

Have your thoughts on this developed any further?

You will now be aware of the differences in behaviour w WebDirect - and trapping for key strokes didn't work for me under WD.

I don't think I have missed any obvious solution but maybe I have?

I have never used QuickFind - I use my own version of portal filtering which works for me. Perhaps QuickFind is the solution here?

I have noticed that return works as the user expects in a FM Dialogue under WD and had thought a little about using a dialogue but this would be a bit clunky in my view.

Cheers, Nick