8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 1:23 PM by wbuitendyk

Dial Phone not working 5s

wbuitendyk

I created a business contact form for Filemaker Go with a couple of tabs. On one tab I have home_phone, work_phone and mobile_phone. I've turned the labels into buttons and inserted the dial phone sript with no dialog. Initially this worked well but after a few modifications and tweaking to my form these phone button no longer work. The script is still in place. I have an address field underneath with a map script attached and it launches and works fine.

The contacts starter solution still works fine. I've tried uninstalling Filemaker Go then reinstalling. I've tried buttons above the tab control. I've tried dialog and no dialog. With dialog it will create the pop up with the displayed number but will not dial.

Does anyone have any ideas? I just purchased Filemaker and was exicited by Filemaker Go. I hope that excitment doesn't turn to regret.

Cheers

Willem

• 1. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
          mikebeargie

you need to use open url, not dial phone, on iOS.

the url should be formatted like this:

tel:1-408-555-5555

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/PhoneLinks/PhoneLinks.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007899-CH6-SW1

• 2. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
            jml

The Dial Phone script is still working well on my old 3Gs on iOS 6 with FileMaker Go 13 (from FMPA 13.0v1 on OS X 10.9.2).  But the phone number must have the hyphens as shown in Mike's post.

• 3. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
              mikebeargie

The Open URL using a URI scheme is also a lot more flexible, allowing you to launch and send data to many other iOS applications. IE addresses to maps/directions, opening a URL in Chrome vs. the iOS default safari, launch an email message, open a Skype call, etc…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_scheme

FM Developers have only really scratched the surface of iOS integration with this method.

Of course you do need to worry about getting back into FMGo, but that's also been improving with each version as well.

IMHO, if you're developing an FMGo solution, you should learn this technique.

• 4. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
                jml

I could'nt agree with you more, Mike.  I'm already doing much of what you mention.

But when it comes to dialling a phone number, Dial Phone is much easier.

• 5. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
                  beverly

yes, to both of you.  The URL is great, but we need to be able to integrate more closely with FMGo. If you use the Dial Phone does it leave FM and ask for re-authorization (login) upon return? It would be great to pop-up a dialer that does its thing and then closes when the call ends, leaving on the record (presumably) that you used to make the call.

While we are at it, Speak is a script step that only works on MacOS. I'd love to see that one also integrated with FMGo. I have several "apps" that I created for my grandson for spelling, math, etc. The speaking part is wonderful, as he needs the see, hear & write methods to help remember. But it only runs on my laptop FMP. It would be so great to put these on his iPad or iPod!!

I mention it in this thread, as I wonder if Speak would be one of those great things to add after you dial the phone and get a response! You know call center stuff like "would you mind listening to this short informational paragraph..." after making contact and getting questions or selling products. Sure beats creating a voice memo for container fields (which also works but often requires redos better served with speaking text in a field). But you'd need to be ON the phone and in FMP, too. Ok, maybe this isn't for iPhone, or is it?

Beverly

• 6. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
                    jml

Beverly Voth wrote:

…It would be great to pop-up a dialer that does its thing and then closes when the call ends, leaving on the record (presumably) that you used to make the call.

Beverly

Yes, that is exactly what Dial Phone does (at least on iOS 6).

• 7. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
                      beverly

I'd like to hear from iOS 7 and FMGo 13 testers/users, please, too.

Thanks, JML!

• 8. Re: Dial Phone not working 5s
                        wbuitendyk

Thanks this seemed to work with the Dial Phone script - it needs all hyphens.