6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 10:49 AM by rgordon

RFP: Need Ticketing for Movie house plus POS solution

LauraZ.

HI FileMakers -

I have a long time client who is looking to replace their Movie Theatre ticketing and Point of Sale solution. The solution in FM should be able to print tix, report on takings, tally 2 concession takings, sell tickets and cash register, AND sell tickets online up to one hour before the show. Inventory should draw down with purchases online. Sales of tickets do not have to be tracked by seat, just by total. There are 4 theatres running 2-4 shows daily, 4-6 shows each day, with ticket prices varying based on age and matinee. This is a FileMaker solution that will need to integrate with other separate FileMaker solutions in the future for reporting and interfacing with accounting.

The client would like to see some demos. They want to be making a decision starting in the next couple weeks. They are willing to replace their hardware, currently Dells, a Dell Server, and ticket printing machines.

Thank you for your consideration.

Please contact me offlist or, if you think others may also benefit, you can also post here.

Best regards,

LauraZ. HelpingHand@ureach.com

• 1. Re: RFP: Need Ticketing for Movie house plus POS solution
          mikebeargie

Hi Laura,

Have you considered an off the shelf non-FM solution? Before you toss me out for heresy, if you're looking for demo-ready solutions for the requirements above, specifically with the e-commerce components, there may be web apps that are already out there for this purpose that would offer immediate access and lower cost.

You could still potentially integrate the data later into FileMaker via ESS, scripted import or API methods.

Just a thought, in case you have a hard time finding someone with a pre-existing solution.

Offhand, one of our COFMUG usergroup developers, Roy Gordon, maintains a solution called BoxOfficePro. It might be something for you to consider:

http://www.boxofficepro.net/

• 2. Re: RFP: Need Ticketing for Movie house plus POS solution
            rgordon

Mike,  the Box Office Pro will only do a few of the things Laura wants.  The program was original build with FM 8 but right now it is being rewritten in FM 13 as a FileMaker Go App.  I think I've  integrated every new FIleMaker 13 user interface feature into the upgrade.  I don't think I will be able to make the COFMUG meeting tonight but I would  be happy to demo the new Box Office Pro at the next meeting.  It would be a good way to demonstrate the new features in FileMaker 13.

• 3. Re: RFP: Need Ticketing for Movie house plus POS solution
              LauraZ.

Hi Mike and Roy,

This does look good - even though, as you say, it doesn't do everything they want  -- yet!

At the low starter price, and now in v13, it may be a good place to start if we end up building in FM.

Is there a way to stream the demo at the COFMUG meeting? If it is too much work to do, maybe there will be another opportunity to demo later.

Thanks for the heads up about this program. I may be back with more questions for you in any case.

Best regards,

Laura

• 4. Re: RFP: Need Ticketing for Movie house plus POS solution
                mikebeargie

Our next COFMUG meeting will not be until March 20th, so you might want to set up something with Roy in advance. I can wholeheartedly recommend him, he's our residential expert at FileMaker Go.

• 5. Re: RFP: Need Ticketing for Movie house plus POS solution
                  LauraZ.

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to let you know that the off the shelf solution with ESS is definitely what I would like, since the solution needs to be 'in place' by April. Thanks for that suggestion. If the FM community doesn't have one for me, that will be next stop. Problem tends to be a resistance to ESS from the commercial app folks.

Enjoy,

Laura

• 6. Re: RFP: Need Ticketing for Movie house plus POS solution
                    rgordon

Laura, I could do a join.me session with you to show you what I'm working on.  I would be available next week.  Just to let you know, I don't have any plans to incorporate all of the features you are looking.  My target audience is school plays and small community theaters.  You can email me at rgordon@boxofficepro.net or call at 937-642-7755.