4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 11:53 AM by Mike Duncan

PHP or XML Advice?

smithj@uoregon.edu

Hello All,

I've been attempting to build a guest access sign up Database, to allow clients to sign up for access to a studio space on campus.

I have FMPS13 running on a mac Mini.

I've been attempting to do this via webdirect and it has been working, but I've run accross some issues with web direct, especially if the browswer window gets refreshed and the record being viewed changes to another persons record when the web page refreshes.

Also in the URL address it shows in web direct record=10 in the URL address. if you change the 10 to say 20 and hit return, it refreshes the page to the databases record #20.

So I'm thinking which option say php or xml would be best to make a simple web page with, first name, last name, address, city, state, zip.... those types of fields for someone go to in a web browser and fill out a form and hit submit button. No other scripts except, submit, no finds, no sorts.

Thoughts. I'm a total newbie to web design. So I was hoping that web direct would work but it may not be what I need.

Thanks

Jeremy

• 1. Re: PHP or XML Advice?
          CarlSchwarz

The filemaker server document in the "documents" folder actually has really good advice about which technology to choose.

Look for the CWP document

• 2. Re: PHP or XML Advice?
            Malcolm

I've been attempting to do this via webdirect and it has been working, but I've run accross some issues with web direct, especially if the browswer window gets refreshed and the record being viewed changes to another persons record when the web page refreshes.

that’s weird. There must be something else going on.

Also in the URL address it shows in web direct  record=10  in the URL address. if you change the 10 to say 20 and hit return, it refreshes the page to the databases record #20.

That’s normal. WebDirect and IWP before it are both susceptible to this sort of URL manipulation. You must secure the data using User Accounts and Privilege Sets.

Malcolm

• 3. Re: PHP or XML Advice?
              beverly

Jeremy, just to clarify:

You can custom web publish using different grammars of XML. You may use PHP or other web applications that can process the XML. FMS happens to have an API in PHP that uses one of the grammars of XML.

You may also use ODBC/JDBC to publish data to the web using a web application that can make the queries and process the result.

You also should understand that the bulk of websites use HTML, CSS & JavaScript to present the information. Very little of these pages are PHP or other web application tags.

Think of this like creating layouts and then using scripts to do something with the layouts. This is very broad, but the comparison is the ratio of time spent on creating a good looking layout and the scripts for it. Web sites are somewhat are like that.

The Web direct does the work of re-creating your layout(s), but as you've found may not have quite all the features you desire. If you wish to pursue the custom web publishing, then your options are:

Learn how

Hire someone to do it for you.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 4. Re: PHP or XML Advice?
                Mike Duncan

You might consider redesigning your solution such that you have a table with only one record in it and all global fields that get loaded with data as needed. Then when the user is ready to "submit" their record, you write it back to the proper tables in a script.

This is pretty much how I handled a IWP I wrote years ago, and it worked well because of the limited requirements.

I would say PHP is the much preferred option, but if you're not already familiar with web design and all the involved pieces, it can be a little bit of a learning curve to take in all at once (Apache/IIS, PHP API, PHP, HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc, etc...) but well worth learning