AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need direction with design set up

Question asked by cdjay on Jan 17, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 by mariusjostfm

Hi, I need help with how best to design a database that would be a combination of price lookup, sort of inventory, invoicing and PO system.

My friend and I recently opened a home remodeling retail store. We realized that Quickbooks is a terrible as a sales tool / quoting software, so I started thinking that FMP would be a much better solution; however, it's been so long that I've used it consistently, I no longer know what would be the best method to choice. I don't know if I should be setting uo lookup tables, conditional formatting, popup menus or what. We carry no inventory, so not having to track for it helps, but because everything is special order, there are so many products available it's impossible to know all their part numbers or prices.

Here's what I envision:

A customer wants to know how much a particular carpet costs. I open up the file and click on "Price Lookup." I'm given radio boxes with all the product categories we sell. I click on "Carpet" and Filemaker moves me to the next field and basically says "These are the four carpet companies we carry: A, B, C, D. I click on C and Filemaker basically says, "These are the Product Names available." I click on "Aliso" and Filemaker says ""These are the 12 colors available. I enter quantity and FMP gives me unit price and extended price.

If the customer likes the price, I either press something like "Add to Quote," "Add to Invoice," or "Create PO," then start the process again by choosing "Price Lookp." This time, however, I choose Tile, which has more options available: Manufacturer, Product Name, Colors, and Sizes. Finally, other products can have invoices created by the manufacturers oridering system, so we'd need less choices: Category; Manufacturer, and some reference to the invoice we already created in that ordering syste,.

So this has a bit of If-Then thinking to it, but because the choices change per input given, I don't know if it should be Relationships, Portals, Defined Lists, Conditional Formatting, Tables, Drop Down boxes, or whatever.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as well as suggestions for books or sites for learning,

A hearty thanks in advance!

Jason

Outcomes