13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 1:38 PM by skywillmott

Popovers and Go To Object

taylorsharpe

According to FileMaker 13 help on Popovers (scroll to bottom of http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12011), if you use the script step to Go To Object, the popover will open. But it doesn't. I can even see the object highlight to show it is selected, but the popover will not open. This is rather frustrating because I need this to work. Does anyone know a workaround or why FileMaker says this would work when it doesn't? Thanks for any input or suggestions.

FYI, I'm using a Mac with FileMaker 13.0v1 on OS X 10.8.5. But I also tested it on a Windows machine and it doens't work there either.

• 1. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
          erolst

Taylor –

the help states:

• You can script a popover to open or close.  To open a popover using a script, use either the "Go To Object" or "Go To Field" script step to enter an object with the popover.  To close a popover, use the "Close Popover" script step to close the currently open popover.

I can see where this might be misleading …

• 2. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
            taylorsharpe

You can use Go To Object to enter an object in that it is highlighted.  It gets the box around it and all.  You can use the data view to test what the current object is and it is correct  But it does not pop up the popover.  You have to manually click on it. 

I think the Help Instructions say what FileMaker wanted to happen, but it is not what is actually happening.  I'm hoping they will see this as a bug and fix it in v2. 

I'm also interested in any workarounds since I find there are some very creative people here!

• 3. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
              coherentkris

make sure the popover has an object name in the inspector and go to object will open the popover .. works for me.. : )

• 4. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                erolst

Put an object into a popover, give it (the object) a name and Go to Object [ objectName ]. The “side-effect” is that the enclosing popover opens. You need to handle the possibly distracting fact that the named object is selected, but at least you have the popover open.

• 5. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                  taylorsharpe

It has an object name which is how I was testing it in the data viewer.  Still not working for me.  But I am in classic view.  I might have to try a regular theme. 

• 6. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                    taylorsharpe

Thanks, erolst.  That is what works!

• 7. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                      jrenfrew

A popover is a button, it can have a name

If you go to it, that is what it will do, no hit the button too.

If you name an object ON the popover surface, when you goto that object the popover will open to show it.

• 8. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                        jrenfrew

Workaround

Create a global field call NODATA

Put it on the popover and name it 1px*1px

Create a script with the commit records step

Have the field run it as a script trigger OnObjectEnter

and then you are NOT in the named location but the popover is open

john

• 9. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                          Mike Duncan

This works fine for me, if you're referencing the correct object. Keep in mind with popover buttons there are more than one object... there is the button itself and then the popover "balloon" (for lack of a better distinction) that opens when you click the button.

You can name both individually as objects.

If the object you are going to is the button (not the balloon) then it won't automatically open the balloon.

The workaround mentioned also works, but isn't necessary.

• 10. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                            erolst

Mike Duncan wrote:

This works fine for me, if you're referencing the correct object. […]  there is the button itself and then the popover "balloon" (for lack of a better distinction

[…]

The workaround mentioned also works, but isn't necessary.

Mike, good catch, and quite obvious … in hindsight!

I think the button is … well, the button, and your ‘balloon’ is the actual popover. The documentation should be clearer in this regard.

– Taylor, give the “correct answer” to Mike and take it away from me – mine is only the ”correct workaround answer" …

• 11. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                              skywillmott

Ah, yes... I came across this today whilst working on something to use on FM Go.....

What I found was:

The popover 'balloon' does indeed need to have an object name defined and the 'go to Object' script is set to go to that named object. However, the visual 'pop' effect that is seen when clicking the actual popover button does not happen - the ballon just instantly appears.

Also, oddly, for the 'Close Popover' script step, the popover just instantly disappears when the script is triggered by a button placed within the popover ballon, but when the button is placed outside of the balloon on the 'background' layout, the 'fade' away effect is seen....

I'm loving being able to use popovers though :-)

• 12. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                                Mike Duncan

You can control whether or not the popover instantly appears or "pops" up with the new script step to turn animations on or off.

• 13. Re: Popovers and Go To Object
                                  skywillmott

Thank you - great to have control over the animations :-) .... The instant snapping was happening when I only assigned the single script step/action to a button, rather than getting the buttons to trigger an actual script that included the Animations on/off step..... Good to know :-)