10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 10:02 AM by synergy46

FM 13 report line collapse... possible?

synergy46

I have a simple SubSummary List report that has 3 lines per record.

The 3rd line is a 'notes' field and is takes up a full line on the report.

Sometimes there are notes and they need to show.

Most of the time there are no notes and it would be great if at that time the report would just show the top 2 rows of fields.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Ron

• 1. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
          jlamprecht

Hi Ron,

Are you displaying this report in Preview mode? If so, the Inspector has some options for you to slide objects based on how much space they actually take up. So, if your note is pratically empty, you can set it to slide up and take less space. See the screenshot below for the option.

-JohnAustin

Sliding.png

• 2. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
            synergy46

No, the report is seen in List view.

I have tried the 'slide up' and it seems that since the row above is never empty, there is no way to slide up the bottom row.  This begs the question "How do you 'slide up' a sometimes empty bottom row?"

R

• 3. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
              keywords

Ron,

JohnAustin is right; sliding should do it. The following is a screenshot of a list view report like the one you describe. The Body part of the report is sized to accommodate the field I have coloured yellow, which has varying amounts of data. The field itself is made large enough to fit the maximum number of lines of data it may contain. As you can see, the field resizes to fit the data in each instance, and does not show at all if the field is empty. Sliding settings are as shown in the second screenshot.

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 8.46.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-01-21 at 8.50.09 AM.png

• 4. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
                jormond

That actually looks like Preview, not List view.

• 5. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
                  Mike Duncan

You can be in Preview Mode and view as List. If you're in Preview mode, then the sliding settings will come into play. The don't do anything in Browse mode, if that's what you mean by List view.

• 6. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
                    synergy46

I got the 'slide up' to work.  Thank you guys very much.

Wouldn't you think that 'slide left' would work like 'slide up'?

According to FM help:

sliding2.png

So, I did this:

sliding.png

The yellow field is a salutation (Mr, Mrs, Miss, MS etc) and is sometimes blank.

To it's right is the name field.  I just want the name field (and everything else to the right) to shift to the

left *IF* saluation is empty. 

Isn't this what 'shift left'  is supposed to do?>????

R

• 7. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
                      keywords

Sliding left is different, and as far as I know there is no way to have everything move left but retain its allocated spacing. Note that in the inspector it indicates that the object of sliding is to Remove Blank Space. If you slide left it reduces the WIDTH of the field, if you slide up it reduces HEIGHT/DEPTH.

If you want what you describe to happen you have to set sliding left on all the fields to the right of the yellow one as well. Then all the fields will move left AND ALSO shrink to just accommodate the length of text they contain. The consequence is that columns will no longer align, so you will end up with a funny looking report. If that's what you want, well and good. Try it out and you'll see for yourself.

• 8. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
                        jormond

True. The OP in post #3 seem to indicate that they were using List View in Browse Mode. Preview Mode lacks the ability to interact with the data. But he seems to have figured out what he wanted...so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Mike Duncan wrote:

You can be in Preview Mode and view as List. If you're in Preview mode, then the sliding settings will come into play. The don't do anything in Browse mode, if that's what you mean by List view.

• 9. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
                          Oliver_Reid

Try a text box with field value merged in instead

Or this calcualtion

Substute (list(sal;name);"¶";char(9)) - this gives sal + tab + name if sal is not empty, and just name otherwise.

You can set a tab stop to align teh name as desired, or parhaps just use a space intead of the tab char

• 10. Re: FM 13 report line collapse... possible?
                            synergy46

This is what I tried (see above) and yet it does not shift.

My failure was caused by not left aligning the sal and name fields.   

An interesting aside is that ,as mentiooned below and previously,  all the fields to the right shift left and then do not align; which makes sense.

A better solution is Oliver_Reid's suggestion.

Thanks to all

R