4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 10:52 AM by johannes

How to select a field that is hidden behind another field

johannes

Hi all,

With the new option to hide fields if certain conditions are met comes a problem. If more fields overlay each oother, how can I select a field without moving all of them to a different place thus revealing what is hidden underneath them?

Is there a way at all? Moving fields has the disadvantage of putting them back into the correct position. It is possible but time consuming and error-prone.

Thank you for any advice.

Best regards

Hans

• 1. Re: How to select a field that is hidden behind another field
          Mike Duncan

Hans,

I have found it best to organize "layers" by using enclosing objects to hold content. Probably most useful, the new slider object can have multiple panes to work with, each one can be a "layer" and also avoid the problem you're running into.

Then, instead of changing the visibility of an object so much, you are just going to an object (the name of the slider pane) with animations turned off.

You also want to be mindful of making a lot of objects hidden that have the same criteria, as filemaker must evaluate ALL the objects that have hidding turned on or not individually...If you have more than one object to hide, you might consider putting it in a containing object just to lower the overhead to draw the layout.

Mike

• 2. Re: How to select a field that is hidden behind another field
            johannes

Mike,

Thank you for your quick response and valuable suggestions. I have not worked with slider objects so far but will read into it and see whether it is the solution. And I will consider your advice on possible performance problems.

In my case it is not that serious because there are only a few such fields.

The layout (segment) in question looks as follows. Depending upon the flag "Art" the layout of the Field "Beschreibung" changes (also for the titel bar). In layout mode the fields of the second line are hidden behind the one of the first line. I was hoping there was a way to kind of "cycle" through the fileds that are all located in the same spot.

Overlay.jpg

• 3. Re: How to select a field that is hidden behind another field
              Mike Duncan

Hans,

Another trick I've used is to group objects together with a text label that I keep off to the right of the layout so it's not visible, but allows me to select the group I want to work with and bring it to front. That's another option.

I guess we are really wanting something like layers in photoshop for managing everything in the layout... maybe for FM 14

Mike

• 4. Re: How to select a field that is hidden behind another field
                johannes

Thanks Mike,

I'll try that trick.

You are so right. I'm certainly not the only one who implements such an overlay. So, FM could have known about this kind of layout problem and provided a solution for it (forward thinking).  :-)

Anyway, thanks again and best rgards

Hans