2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 12:27 PM by sarahkmul

FMS 13 and Web Services

taylorsharpe

I have installed FMS in various versions of the years mostly on Mac OS Servers, and a few on Windows Servers (usually 2008 version).

When FMS 13 came out and you install it on a Mac, it takes over the web services completely. Unlike before, you cannot run any other web services. Now this is in a single machine installation and I've done this on Mac OS X Server 10.8 and 10.9. Before FMS 13, IWP worked just fine inconjunction with other web services on the Mac server.

I was curious if you go to a 2 machine setup, are you able to run other web services (e.g., other web pages, virtual domains, etc.) on either the Apache machine or the FMS machine? I haven't done a 2 machine setup and was curious.

This also makes me curious about 360 Works Web Services Manager. Does it work with FMS 13 and support SOAP calls, etc.? I was looking into doing this for a company that has a sign that wants to read an RSS feed and looking for ways to publish this. Previously I had published it to a web page as xml until I installed FMS 13 and it stopped all of the other web services other than WebDirect.

Thanks for any input.

• 1. Re: FMS 13 and Web Services
          mikebeargie

Taylor,

Just a note that 360works does not show support for FMS13 for Web Services Manager. I know they're probably hard at work building new releases for their massive product line.

As far as this behavior, I recall a similar thing happening when IWP was enabled on windows servers in previous versions. Unfortunately, with Filemaker's strict dependence on port 80 as part of their port simplification, you're most likely going to have to do a hackjob to your machine's network stack to (attempt) to make it work.

I'm not terribly familiar with the mac server side, and definitely not port splitting/sharing. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• 2. Re: FMS 13 and Web Services
            sarahkmul

Hi Taylor,

Web Services Manager will indeed work with FileMaker Server 13. You'll need to install it slightly differently, as you're right, 13 redoes their web server setup, but we can still piggyback off the new way. Server 13 uses either a new copy of Apache, or a new Web Site in IIS. You can still place pages the need to be served within their new setup. To install, simply copy the php file instead to: FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/htdocs/ and everything else should work the same. If you run into any issues, please let us know and we'd be happy to help!

Thank you,

Sarah Mulligan

Marketing Coordinator

360Works