mc6994

Viewing Container Field Files (pdf, Word, Excel, pictures, etc)

Discussion created by mc6994 on Jan 21, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 by ch0c0halic

Conditions:

1. I am using Filemaker Pro 13 on client machines and Filemaker Server 13 on a Mac server.

2. The database tracks projects and each project can have multiple attachments that are stored in container fields. Hence 1 to many relationship between project table and attachment table.

3. Attachement are viewed and accessed in a portal within the Project layout.

Objective:

I am trying to view pdf files or any document stored in the container easily when i am using either a mac or a PC. I didn't like the interactive content setup because i limited to the size of the container on the layout.

Solution:

I created a button to view the content with a script attached that export the file to the hard disk, save it as "Attachment Temp Save" and open it automatically. This approach works fine when i run the database locally on my machine. I named the file "Attachment Temp Save" to save a temporary copy on the hard drive that would be over written the next time i would open another attachment. This would save hard drive space in the long run.

Problem:

When the database is hosted on the server and i attempt to view the attachment using the same script. I see the following error message: "Attachment Temp Save" could not be created on this disk. Use a diffferent name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk. (see attached sreen shot).

Attached:

Screen shot of the error message and pdf file with the script.

Question:

Please let me know if you see what's wrong with either the script or possibly server configuration settings that i may be missing. Also if there is a better approach to accomplish this, let me know.

Thank you.

Michel

Outcomes